Migrating to Gitea

I’m planning to switch https://git.tt-rss.org to Gitea from Gogs. Two major reasons is support for Recaptcha and somewhat better UI.

Unfortunately, direct migration from recent Gogs versions seems to be impossible. There’s a long and convoluted process, outlined on their wiki, which might (or might not) produce needed results which I’ve decided to not bother with. I’ve batch-migrated my repositories and existing wiki entries and the rest might as well be a clean slate.

Unfortunately this means that all the five people who regularly contributed on Gogs will have to register again. I hope it won’t be too much trouble. When you do, post here so I’d bump your repository limit, same as before.

When (if) migration is completed, I’ll keep Gogs running on a different URL for some time at least until February just in case you guys need something off it.

UPDATE: things went better than expected, so gitea is now available on https://git.tt-rss.org

Gogs is available here: https://gogs-archive.tt-rss.org/

One last thing, outbound email wasn’t working, should be working now.

If you tried to register and didn’t receive your confirmation email, well, try again.

Registered+activated successfully. Just needed to grab the activation e-mail from Spam.

i’ve bumped your repo limit. if something doesn’t work right, post here.

strange, i’ve tested with gmail and both DKIM and SPF are correct. oh well, can’t do anything about it.

On POSTs for settings (2fa, access tokens, etc.) I was getting “Invalid csrf token.” with a HTTP 400 response. Clearing cookies (presumably some leftover Gogs stuff) for git.tt-rss.org fixed the issue.

yeah, same here. not sure if needs some kind of fixing.

apparently gitea has a very peculiar approach to repository creation limits:

so its back to janitoring spam, i guess. :man_facepalming:

Lot of discussion in that ticket for what is effectively a minor, no-brainer issue. If you put a limit on something, you put a limit on something. Any workaround just lets people cheat the system.

SagePtr:

:roll_eyes:

yeah, this people are incredibly naïve if this scenario wasn’t immediately obvious to them. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Fwiw, recaptcha is blocked in China. It’s likely that people who can install ttrss, know how to deal with it, but to just let you know.

Gitea has started to run out of its allocated memory quota of 512MB:

gitea-ttrss-docker_app_1           0.79%     443.4MiB / 512MiB     86.60% 

That’s after restarting and pushing one (1) commit into the repository. I don’t really want to give it even more RAM (Gogs used to utilize about 80MB on the same setup - ???).

so what, they can’t handle “large diffs”? lol.

i suppose the choice here is between gogs which is largely abandonware and gitea which is overbloated garbage hacked together without thinking (re: repo clone permission issue, observations on stylesheets they changed from gogs and peppered with ! important because they don’t know any better, overall ram usage, etc). what a time to be alive.

maybe i should just drop the whole thing and publish git repositories directly without a shitty web ui on top of them.

Do you use any features of gitlab/gogs/gitea other than merge requests?

wiki, gitea has a proper editor for it (gogs doesn’t, iirc).

I’d like to add that my RAM issue seems to be mostly solved, with more improvements coming in newer Gitea versions:

So, it’s not that bad. I’ve also reported some kind of minor thing to Gogs issue tracker a few weeks ago and haven’t received any replies. This was the major reason to drop it, btw. Can’t stand being ignored. :slight_smile:

e: btw if someone needs it, apparently Gitea has a dark theme. i’ve enabled it.

Me, I’m Zen. I’ve given up. If an app needs more RAM, by god it will get more RAM. I can’t be bothered anymore. Although sometimes I wake up trembling and wondering where my 386SX with 4MB of RAM went…

well, for this vps it’s either limit container and enjoy it crashing or don’t and play OOM killer roulette.

Server Uptime

17 hours, 43 minutes, 18 seconds

so far so good etc.

I just re-registered as johnjaylward

amazon bot decided to visit git.tt-rss.org today and started requesting pages randomly. surprising nobody, this caused gitea to spawn hundreds of zombie git processes, shit itself, and die, repeatedly:

$ cat zombie_git_processes.txt | wc -l

i’ve switched all git repositories to be served directly by nginx with git-http-backend as needed. which, again surprising nobody, caused a significant LA drop on the vps where git.tt-rss.org is running.

i’ve tried a bunch of repo urls and it seems to work fine, but if something got broken, post here.

i suppose another bot or any kind of load, really, can cause gitea to do this again but as long as git repositories are working for everyone, it’s not a big deal.