Well, for whatever it’s worth. I randomly started getting an issue similar to this on my existing installation a while back. For me it was all five directories sanity checked, the three in cache, lock, and feed-icons.
I verified the owner and group were still correct, and then blasted a chmod -R 0777 on the entire ttrss directory, all to no avail. I finally sat down and investigated today and see some reports that php’s is_writable() doesn’t actually work on directories (despite the documentation claiming that it does). I swapped out the !is_writable() in include/sanity_check.php for file_perms() != 16895 on the directories to verify a directory and 0777 permissions and now I have a web gui again.
I was able to ignore it for so long because the app and API still worked, and I normally checked from an android device anyway. So it didn’t bother me too much until I needed to change settings and couldn’t.
Not sure if this guy actually had a bad permissions issue, or if whatever randomly broke in my long standing install is starting to affect others.