The Far Side comic (missing cartoon images)

• [ ] I’m using stock docker compose setup, unmodified.
  • [ ] I’m using docker compose setup, with modifications (modified .yml files, third party plugins/themes, etc.) - if so, describe your modifications in your post. Before reporting, see if your issue can be reproduced on the unmodified setup.
  • [ X ] I’m not using docker on my primary instance, but my issue can be reproduced on the aforementioned docker setup and/or official demo.

• Tiny Tiny RSS version (including git commit id):
    Tiny Tiny RSS v23.10-89f5af62d (Unsupported)

• Platform (i.e. Linux distro, Docker, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions:
    ubuntu server, php8, postgres,…

The Far Side comic has not worked for a while using the af_comics plugin for the gocomics site. (The Far Side comic is ‘featured’ at gocomics.com 's website, but it’s actually a referral link to another site, now.)

‘RSS-Bridge’ does provide a functional rss atom link to pull down the daily ‘The Far Side’ comic, but in tt-rss the comic images are not appearing, just descriptive content for the missing pic, if/when there is content under the cartoon image.

The instance of rss-bridge that I run is not public, but there are many public rss-bridges to chose from. The following is a link to one of the public rss-bridge’s run by one of the lead contributors to the rss-bridge project.

And here’s the atom feed link for ‘The Far Side’ comic from the above rss-bridge:

https://rss-bridge.org/bridge01/?action=display&bridge=TheFarSideBridge&format=Atom

Here’s what I’ve tried:
Subscribe the above atom link at the tt-rss demo server and wait a bit. The Far Side feed loads, but cartoon images are missing, just the text content, if any. btw, when subscribing on the demo server, I did tick the download attachments and cache media options, before saving the config, fwiw.

I’ve also tested the above atom link in a desktop rss reader (flatpak install of ’ Akregator’) and the cartoon images pull down as expected, again as already mentioned, using the atom link above.

Also, tested with another (popular?) rss reader in a browser and again, the images are pulled as expected.

idk what else to try. I’ve tested, opening my tt-rss instance in chromium variants using incognito and/or firefox’s ‘Private Window’ mode, all yield the same result, or lack thereof.

Oh and another thing. Using the myfindsucks tester, the above atom link seems to test ok, resulting with message: Parsing… Parsed successfully. But, the rest of the output of the test at the end is strange?

Ordinary, I’d blame my instance of tt-rss, but since it’s reproducible on the tt-rss demo server… Here we are… :wink:

you can subscribe to https://www.thefarside.com/ and the plugin would handle the rest. the only gotcha is that they check referrer or w/e so you have to have media caching enabled, although i think af_comics also enforces that.

not sure what’s that about the feed they have nor do i use rss-bridge, but you can try enabling cache too.

Ahhhh, that’s the ticket! Thanks, Fox, apologies for the static. :frowning: