Switching from updating the feeds via daemon to cron

Hi,
I want to switch over from the daemon to the cron method, since the dameon is closed after some time. I created a cron job but this doesn’t update my feeds even if I start it manually. It seems that there is still a lock on the feeds from the daemon script although the daemon itself isn’t running any more.

Any hints how to fix that?

You can remove the lock files from the tt-rss/lock/ directory.

But I wonder what you mean by this:

The daemon would be the preferred method for updating feeds. You should be asking why it’s failing. Have you looked at any system logs to see why it’s quitting?

Hi, my host allows running the daemon during the ssh-shell is open but it is stopped as soon as this is closed.

Okay, that makes a little more sense.

Delete the files in the lock directory, then setup the cron job. Details are in the wiki:

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/wiki/UpdatingFeeds#periodical-updating-from-crontab-using-update-script-update-php-feeds

Ok, I did this, but the feeds aren’t updating on this commad. I have deleted the files located in the lock dir and the feeds still says that they failing to update and if I hover my mouse over the exclamation mark I see an “Update process failed with exit code 255 ()”

If you SSH into the server and run the command directly, what is the output?

Hi,
the output pf this command is:

bash-4.4$ php /reader.mydomain.de/tt-rss/update.php --feeds
[18:50:55/1464] Lock: update.lock
[18:50:55/1464] Scheduled 0 feeds to update...
[18:50:55/1464] Sending digests, batch of max 15 users, headline limit = 1000
[18:50:55/1464] All done.
[18:50:55/1464] Expired cache/export: removed 0 files.
[18:50:55/1464] Expired cache/feeds: removed 0 files.
[18:50:55/1464] Expired cache/images: removed 0 files.
[18:50:55/1464] Expired cache/upload: removed 0 files.
[18:50:55/1464] Removed 0 old lock files.
[18:50:55/1464] Removing old error log entries...
[18:50:55/1464] Purged 0 orphaned posts.

Hope you can see what is going on…

that’s not how file locking works

OK, thanks for clarifying this. Do have any other ideas why the feeds aren’t been updated?

i can suggest switching to a supported (i.e. docker) setup.

you have provided no details for what and how you’re running (is this some kind of hosting? something else?) but even if you did, its unlikely that i could help you with it.

e: try update.php --force-update

Forcing the update did help. Thanks for this for getting this running.

Probably not useful now, but for next time something like this comes up, look into screen, tmux, nohup or similar.

OK, I will do. Thx for supporting.