Some feeds (maybe YouTube feeds in general) updating, but new items are marked as read?

• [ ] I’m using stock docker compose setup, unmodified.
  • [ ] I’m using docker compose setup, with modifications (modified .yml files, third party plugins/themes, etc.) - if so, describe your modifications in your post. Before reporting, see if your issue can be reproduced on the unmodified setup.
  • [ ] I’m not using docker on my primary instance, but my issue can be reproduced on the aforementioned docker setup and/or official demo.

I recently set up tt-rss and added a few feeds. After a few days, I noticed to my surprise that some of them (which I know are updated fairly frequently) were seemingly never getting updates. When I looked into it, I discovered that they are getting updates - they’re just never showing up as unread.

The feeds in question are all from YouTube. I don’t know whether or not this has anything to do with it - I have a couple other YT feeds, but they’re updated very rarely.

Is there perhaps some preferences setting (or whatever) that could account for this? I’ve looked for one, but haven’t found any.

I’m sorry, I don’t know show to reproduce the problem. I just know it’s happening. Like I said above, they’re all YouTube feeds, so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Tiny Tiny RSS version (including git commit id): I’m using the FreeBSD ports version g20230509,2. I’m sorry, I don’t know how to get the git commit ID from that, but if someone could tell me how, I’d be happy to do so.

• Platform (i.e. Linux distro, Docker, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions:
    FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE
    (not using docker)
    PHP 8.1.20
    (not using PostgreSQL)
    MySQL 8.0.32
    PHP mysqli: 8.1.20
    PHP PDO mysql: 8.1.20
    If there are any other things that it might be helpful to have the versions for, please let me know.

Oooooh, I think I might have figured it out: All of the recent items in these feeds are updates (i.e. with their “updated” field newer than their “published” field).

Since noticing that, I further noticed that TTRSS has a per-feed “Mark updated articles as unread” option, which is turned off for all of these (and, I assume, all feeds I’ve added).

Looking at another YouTube feed, for a channel that hasn’t had a new video posted in years and years, it looks like the “updated” date probably gets updated by YouTube a lot more often than one might hope. Maybe in situations like “Someone viewed the video, so the view count in the video’s related RSS entry has increased”?

This is a known problem with youtube video RSS feeds, google is doing the wrong thing… sorta (assuming you don’t care about updated comments). See this thread: https://community.tt-rss.org/t/youtube-video-timestamps-are-incorrect/

The plugin that solves the issue: GitHub - sal0max/ttrss-af_youtube_remove_updated: A tt-rss plugin. Removes the 'updated' element of Youtube feeds. Bringing some order.

Alternatively you can set-up and use the RSS-Bridge youtube bridge to get a sanitized feed.

1 Like