SMTP mailer not active (or to be activated)

Hi,

Changing from hosted to docker version of TT-RSS (yes, I’m late to the party but it worked great all the time).
Love the ‘out-of-the box’ experience with docker, worked with the minimal steps till I wanted to activate my email digest (no morning coffee without).

I want to activate SMTP mailer but a little confused about the right steps.
Followed the manual on tt-rss/ttrss-mailer-smtp: SMTP mailer plugin for tt-rss based on PHPMailer - ttrss-mailer-smtp - Tiny Tiny RSS

1. Updated tt-rss install to version v22.12-c30b24d09
  2. plugin on var/www/html/tt-rss/plugins.local/mailer_smtp verified
  3. added TTRSS_PLUGINS=mailer_smtp to .env
  4. Added the SMTP data to the .env file for my docker-compose installation.

But on the preferences\plug-ins page I have a grey tick for the mailer_smtp plugin and a green one for nginx_xaccel and auth_internal (but I have not defined that in .env)

When I try to send a testmail the following error is triggerd by classes/mailer.php:59
Error sending mail: Unknown error while sending mail. Hooks tried: 0.

1. classes/mailer.php(59): user_error(Error sending mail: Unknown error while sending mail. Hooks tried: 0.)
  2. classes/mailer.php(51): set_error(Unknown error while sending mail. Hooks tried: 0.)
  3. classes/pref/system.php(25): mail([{“to_name":“”,“to_address”:"[email protected]”,“subject”:“Test message from tt-rss”,“message”:“This message confirms that tt-rss can send outgoing mail.”})
  4. backend.php(136): sendTestEmail()

Real IP: 77.xxx.xxx.xxx
Forwarded For: 77.xxx.xxx.xxx
Forwarded Protocol: https
Remote IP: 172.xxx.xxx.xxx
Request URI: /tt-rss/backend.php
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/110.0

Tried with some variants on line number 3. the TTRSS_PLUGINS line but that gave errors or blank pages.
Tested with a fresh download from the ttrss-mailer-smtp plugin. No change, same behaviour

Looks like I’m missing the last bit of the puzzle.
Who can help me with the last clue to resolve it?

did you recreate the container afterwards? docker compose down, up? looks like TTRSS_PLUGINS didn’t take.

dev-debian:ttrss-docker-dev (master):$ grep PLUGINS .env
TTRSS_PLUGINS=auth_oidc,auth_internal,data_migration,mailer_smtp,cache_s3

here’s an example of how this should look like. don’t forget about auth_internal too.

I’ve got a green checkmark with smtp_mailer :blush:

• added ‘auth_internal,’ to my TTRSS_PLUGINS line (so it is now ‘TTRSS_PLUGINS=auth_internal,mailer_smtp’

AND

• did a proper ‘docker down’ before my normal ’ docker-compose up -d’

and after that it’s working!

Now I get a proper ‘Error sending mail: SMTP connect() failed’ messages in the log but that’s other debuging work I will work on.

Normal I do only a ‘docker-compose up -d’ and seems to do a restart and gives a new container id so it is also possible that one plugin is not working but two is the minimum.

Thanks

And the SMTP error is solved too (mixed up the portnumber of IMAP and SMTP) so I’m a happy bunny tonight.