Recent Reddit rate-limiting apparently occuring

THIS IS NOT A TT-RSS BUG, just a public service announcement.

I’ve been noticing lots of 403 errors for some Reddit feeds I follow in the last week or two. Apparently this is a new (again) thing. Reddit - Dive into anything

A potential fix is to use “old.reddit.com” according to the link for your RSS feed links, YMMV.

the shittification of reddit continues. lemmyverse says hi. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re not wrong …

20char…

And the workaround is fine on desktop but kind of sucks on mobile because they’ve also got rid of the old mobile design so following a link means getting a desktop layout on my phone.

My vps ip is totally banned since dec.12.
I changed all feeds to old.reddit.com as a workaround for now.

As a second workaround (because i fucking need these feeds) i wrote a script on my little 24/7 homeserver to catch all xml files, upload it to ftp and tinyrss is reading from this. works without problems so far. my home ip (changes every 24h) was not limited or banned so far. i download the xmls every 30min.

i tried some free and paid openvpn servers directly on tinyrss server too, but after short time rate limited or ban… tried different countries… german, us, europe etc…

private home ip seems ok…

Same problem here.
I wonder how long they ban IPs - I disabled all feeds and tried it after a couple days. Still banned.

Will try the old.reddit.com Workaround…

Note aside, when opening Reddit with lynx from the banned machine:

Your request has been blocked due to a network policy.
Try logging in or creating an account here to get back to browsing.
If you’re running a script or application, please register or sign in with your developer credentials here. Additionally make sure your User-Agent is not empty and is something unique and descriptive and try again. if you’re supplying an
alternate User-Agent string, try changing back to default as that can sometimes result in a block.

Any ideas on whether it could just be an user-agent thing?

I’ve seen comments on the board expressing the thought that changing the User-Agent that TT-RSS uses for all requests/updates is not a good idea.

If indeed sites (as seems apparent) are using some combination of User-Agent string along with frequency of requests, I’m curious what truly would be the downside of changing the User-Agent that TT-RSS uses for all updates? Is there some detrimental effect I’m not seeing because it seems to be that there would be no downside to it, unless there is some metric that is being counted somewhere?

I do understand that the need to change it is stupid, but what other negative effects might it have?

it should never be done from a hosted server ip and for high numbers of feeds and updates as it will most likely be blocked (it either already will be or will be quickly after setting it up - not for everything but i did notice a high number of failures when i tested this compared to leaving the default user agent - I also tried changing to the googlebot user agent which was also quickly blocked by more/different feeds, probably because it wasn’t from a google ip.

I have a local instance running on my home IP which has the chrome User-Agent - I use the local one for items which have problems with the server hosted one, so reddit, instagram (via rss-bridge) etc. - I also keep the number of feeds and refresh frequency low to avoid blocking, e.g. ~10 feeds of each service, 4hr update frequency

@extra808 would you mind sharing these scripts? Are you using dockerized tt-rss?

I haven’t written any scripts, I changed my Reddit feed URLs manually. I’m not using dockerized tt-rss, I’m on a shared hosting service.