Manual host installations are not going to be supported starting with 2021

I’m not going to purposely break anything but your bespoke riced arch server setup with twenty different PHP binaries is going to be an afterthought.

Issues are going to be fixed as they are discovered and properly reported. I’m not going to be doing any proactive testing, except for official compose setup. I’m also not going to dig too much into any reported issues I can’t easily replicate on a container setup.

Note that this also concerns mysql support in general.

Consider planning any further tt-rss deployments and/or migration to a supported (container) configuration accordingly.

Thanks for the heads up.
Given there’s a world of raspberries, *wrts and the the new m1 macs, any chance to get arm support on those containers?

Thanks,
mb

is ‘riced’ a term from car culture?!? ROTFL

Yes.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Docker-compose + tt-rss

Hi fox,

after all this years using Tiny Tiny RSS (since Google Reader went down) I just wanted to throw a quick “thank you” before leaving.

I know the tone in this community is said to be quite rough, but I always tried to report my bugs in a productive manner and every time I got a satisfying solution from you, most of the times you immideately fixed the bugs and I paypal-donated in response. Thanks a lot for creating TTRSS and keeping it updated!

Since official support for manual host installations is dropped for understandable reasons, I am forced to leave this community and this great product. Since a few weeks I am trying my luck with FreshRSS, so far it looks quite capable, but we’ll see.

Thanks again and goodbye

I don’t use docker right now but might go that route later. The source code is in git, which is where I assume you got it from, and there is nothing to keep non-docker installs from doing the usual git pull. “unsupported” only means if you have an install/operational issue, don’t come-a-knockin. Bug reports, I hope, will still be handled normally given that they can be reproduced w/ a docker install (i.e. a true bug in the supported stack).

But if you like changing platforms and trying new software out, well then happy-trails.

It’s been a while and I figured this was a decent place to put this considering the previous posters.

@fox, Thanks for all the hard work that you and your team have put into this product. It has been my pleasure to use since leaving Google’s embrace.

@mb2NSip498vEisza, I actually am running this docker on a Raspberry Pi 4 and the only thing that I had to change was using “web” in the docker-compose file vice “web-nginx” and everything ran splendidly.

@rom, I don’t know if you’ve tried going the docker route, but I tried for the majority of this year, and failed, while in quarantine. Finally, in the last month, this old and set-in-his-ways dude who is tired of learning new stuff decided it was time and I succeeded.

In closing, thanks again to everyone that participates in making this fine piece of kit a reality. I’ll be off here, again, for another couple of years :smiley:

I hope this does not end up in a huge discussion, just adding a few comments :wink:

@rodneys_mission: Unfortunately in the past I had several shared hosting related issues which would not apply to a docker install, example: Cron Feed Update -> passthru has been disabled for security reasons - Support - Tiny Tiny RSS: Community
I am also forced to use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL, which won’t be supported in the future. Besides, in my oppinion it is not a good idea to rely on a software, which could stop working suddenly and any time after a git pull update - and won’t be fixed because my plattform is out of support.

The docker route is not an option right now, for several reasons which I do not want you guys to bore with.

But I am ok with trying new software out, and so far everything looks quite well. :wink:

if you were on shared hosting it’s not like anything have changed for you. also, not supported doesn’t mean issues won’t be fixed.

tldr: i think you’re making a big deal out of something that literally doesn’t affect you in the slightest.

not supported doesn’t mean issues won’t be fixed.

uhm… ok, then it seems like I really don’t get the purpose of this “starting with 2021” announcement at all if seemingly nothing changes… care to elaborate what exactly is changing with this new policy? e.g. are only arch server setups not getting fixed anymore? or servers with more than 19 PHP binaries? Did you do proactive testing for manual host installs before?

Edit: Sorry, I think I got it. Before 2021, you supported manual host installations and docker installations, but not shared hosting. From 2021 on, you support only docker installations, but still do not support shared hosting and (new:) manual host installations. Understood!

it’s right there in the first post of this thread.

yeah you got the gist of it.