Issues with Feed Purging

Describe the problem you’re having:
I started my install about a year ago (January, 2020) and had default purging disabled on many of my feeds. I’m now going through some of my feeds and turning on article purging. However, it doesn’t appear that any purging is taking place. I’ve gone through the FAQ and non of the possible reasons for this happening appear to apply to my situation. I even checed the import date using the mouse-hover technique, which seems to indicate the import date is quite old, however no purging appears to be taking place. Any suggestions on what to try?
sshot-1

tt-rss version (including git commit id): I’m running the latest version (20.12-83962a8)

Platform (i.e. Linux distro, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Latest Docker Static Compose, and.PGP v7.3.25.

edit: Postgresql v12.5

Purging happens during a regular maintenance routine. If you have a daemon setup to update your feeds in the background, then eventually the articles will be purged.

Do keep in mind that sometimes articles will not be removed. If those articles continue to appear in the feeds when TT-RSS checks, it’s not going to purge them (because otherwise they’d show back up as new, when they are not actually new).

Starred and Archived articles are also retained forever.

Thanks! I waited 4-6 hours after the changes before posting. I’ll let it set overnight before I check again.

I did verify that the articles I’m testing have long (months ago) dropped out of the site’s feed. And, of course, none are starred or archived.

actually feed is purged after successful update, maintenance task executes a different (related) cleanup. if feeds are updated they should be purged.

in case global default managed to override per-feed one try enabling purging globally (if it is disabled) and check for query errors.

i think enough was said on this subject already so other than getting feed debugger logs i don’t have any other suggestions.

Thanks, @fox! That was it! Once I went to Preferences and set a default purge (365 days to test with), the purge took place as expected on the next feed update…Thanks for the quick response!

that’s actually not supposed to happen, per-feed setting should override global one.

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/commit/f05f9b4252938911c69168e48e03895eeb030074

i’ve added some logging output to purge_feed() which should make it easier to figure out if things are purged or not via feed debugger.

try setting your default back to what it was previously and trying purging again.

e: i’ve also tried to clarify information on purging in the FAQ entry.

I did as you suggested and disabled default purging. Then, I updated the feed settings and purging worked as expected for that feed:

[16:16:42/9984] purging feed…
[16:16:42/9984] purge_feed: interval 60 days for feed 20, owner: 1, purge unread: 1
[16:16:42/9984] purge_feed: deleted 170 articles.
[16:16:42/9984] update done.

Thanks, again!