Issue with tt-rss.org feeds?

Sometime recently, my tt-rss (up to date docker-compose in Ubuntu 20.04) stopped updating both the “posts” feed, as well as the git compose feeds. This seems specific to the feeds on tt-rss.org, even though myfeedsucks doesn’t see a problem. I did notice that one time I tried to re-add one of the feeds it was complaining about cloudflare. Known issue elsewhere, or with me?

[18:41:11/656] start
[18:41:11/656] running HOOK_FETCH_FEED handlers...
[18:41:11/656] === 0.0002 (sec) Af_Comics
[18:41:11/656] feed data has not been modified by a plugin.
[18:41:11/656] local cache will not be used for this feed
[18:41:11/656] last unconditional update request: 2021-12-26 20:24:33
[18:41:11/656] maximum allowed interval for conditional requests exceeded, forcing refetch
[18:41:11/656] fetching https://tt-rss.org/feeds/tt-rss.xml (force_refetch: 1)...
[18:41:11/656] fetch done.
[18:41:11/656] effective URL (after redirects): https://tt-rss.org/feeds/tt-rss.xml (IP: 172.67.138.246) 
[18:41:11/656] server last modified: 
[18:41:11/656] unable to fetch:  [503]

if you have problems with both discourse and static repo feeds, it’s likely cloudflare disliking your IP, because cloudflare is the only thing in common there (it’s two different origin servers, far away from each other).

you can try using curl to maybe get the error message, other than that i don’t really have any ideas on how to help here.

i wish i could stop using cloudflare for tt-rss.org.

e: it would be very unlikely for the origin nginx to ever return 50x for the static feed xml, unless HTTP request is malformed or something, i.e. stuff like this:

2021/12/28 21:21:56 [error] 1229#1229: *11503 "xxx/feeds/tt-rss.xml/index.php" is not found (20: Not a directory), client: xxx, server: tt-rss.org, request: "GET /feeds/tt-rss.xml/ HTTP/2.0", host: "tt-rss.org"

which doesn’t apply here.

cURL (at least on Tiny Tiny RSS: Community - Latest posts) is giving what I believe is HTML of a page that says it is checking my browser which would then redirect in 5 seconds if it were a browser. Opening that same URL in a browser on a Windows machine on the same LAN loads the feed successfully. No idea how/why Cloudflare would balk at one machine on the same WAN ip but not the other, especially with something as simple as cURL.

e: Just because it’s easier to read I just also tried wget on the same URL and I definitely get Error 503.

they probably have different weights for clients they could detect as an actual browser or things like curl and decide accordingly.

Ugh. And just to complete the test I opened Chrome on the Ubuntu machine and was able to get the feed to load there also. So it does seem limited to things running in the bash/shell somehow.

e: Now I wonder if I’m going to be unable to update as long as this is getting 503. In Preferences I just tried to “Check for updates” and it goes 503 for each check there also, I’m not sure if restarting the containers is actually updating or not since if it thinks there are no updates it just proceeds what it thinks is normally.

e2: I didn’t even realize cURL was in Windows, but when I run it in the same Windows machine I was getting the browser to work in, I also get 503. So double ugh, it’s not just the config on my machine that’s a problem, and I’ve had the same IP for over a year.

if you’re using docker hub images + ouroboros/watchtower then it’s going to just work. you won’t get update prompts within tt-rss but it’s just a small cosmetic thing.

well i guess plugin updates are going to be a problem, too.

does your ISP use CGNAT? you could have some, uh, toxic neighbors on your wan ip / subnet.

like i said, unfortunately there’s not much i can do here. you can PM me your wan ip and country, i’ll check cloudflare dashboard.

No docker hub, unfortunately. docker-compose which I’m guessing tries to reach out to git on each startup…? And I’m not familar with CGNAT, but I am able to get directly to my home network’s WAN IP from anywhere by just using that IP.

I’ll PM now, sorry. Was hoping for something simpler like I was being a dumbass somehow. Of course if Cloudflare comes up that I was somehow hammering things…

e: If you don’t want to bother further, it’s working if I funnel it through FeedBurner. Until that gets banned, and also that won’t work for git…

looks like this was an anti-bot thing cloudflare has. disabling it seems to have helped.