[insulting me for bringing up an issue... mods, delete post please]

EDIT. Nvm… I’ve deleted this topic. Most of your guys are pretty rude, dismissive and not helpful. Deleting my account on this site and will be sure not to recommend this app or forum.

after a while (i think it’s 30 days by default) of constant update failures tt-rss will automatically set the feed to disabled.

Hmm… after looking at my logs, it does appear that it hasn’t yet been 30 days. But does that even matter, though? Upon the first 500 response, Tiny RSS should know that the URL is invalid and shouldn’t ever ping a second time. Or am I misunderstanding how Tiny RSS works? :grinning:

you misunderstand how pretty much everything works. maybe someone here will take pity on you and explain why this particular idea is remarkably stupid, personally i’m not going to bother.

Imagine you misconfigured your server for some minutes because of whatever and you would immediately loose all your subscribers. So this would be a very bad idea knowing that errors can happen. 30 days should be a safe time for the feed owner to fix his feed, and if not than it is pretty sure that it is intentional and therefore can be deactivated.

Imagine you want to deliver a pizza. You ring the doorbell of the customer but it doesn’t work. So instead of trying again, you go home and ban this customer for life.

This is what you think you want.

Sorry I’m saying that, in this case, this feed/page URL that Tiny is pinging will never be available. So maybe we should have our dev change this response in this case to a 400? Would Tiny then consider that its a bad URL and to never ping a second time?

Each of those return codes has a very specific meaning. 500 explicitly means “the server is on fire, I have no idea what might be going on, probably just try again later”.

You want a specific code, not “maybe 400 instead?”, and you will find it on this page: List of HTTP status codes - Wikipedia

On the other side, 3 minutes is a little fast. As a site owner you won’t get much flack for a ratelimit ban or something, even though @fox will call you names for reading your http logs and worrying about a whole 20 requests an hour. (And he isn’t wrong, really, but it sounds like there are way bigger problems with your site)

Then 500 is most certainly the wrong status to be returning. Unless the reason for it never being available is that your server/site is misconfigured or generally broken.

I think you should be having a broader conversation with your ‘dev’ if they were the one responsible to for returning a 500 in the first place.

Depends. Does the reason fit the description for a 400? Or would one of the other 4xx codes be a better fit?