How to Archive an article

While I haven;t had the need for quite some time, I recently had the need to ‘Archive’ a few articles and wasn’t able to find the archive option in the Select menu, where I thought it used to be.

Has the Select > Archive option been moved (or removed) or is there a config option I need to enable?

IIRC, ‘Archived’ is for where you starred (or maybe published?) an article that would no longer exist otherwise (deleted feed and the like), i.e. it’s only an automatic thing, not something you can set manually.

You probably just want to Star the article(s) in question.

Thanks for the feedback. You may very well be right that I’m mis-remembering how things worked, but I swear it was possible, in the past, to manually archive an article, just by selecting it.

Even the post below seems to indicate that’s how it worked in the past:
https://community.tt-rss.org/t/what-is-the-archive-special-feed-and-how-to-use-it/3243/2

EDIT: Seems I was mis-remembering. Found the Wiki page and it’s exactly as you said. I must be getting old: Tiny Tiny RSS – Archived Feed

commit da0ad82c2497ed34cb29cf78e29c75a4d4ffb8bd
Author: Andrew Dolgov <[email protected]>
Date:   Sun Jan 17 14:55:11 2021 +0300

Archive cleanup:
    - remove code to manually archive/unarchive articles

you’re right, it was there before.

i don’t remember why this was removed but it’s likely because the behavior is confusing and there’s really never any need to do this manually.

Thanks. At least my sanity is intact.

What I’m actually trying to do is take an old feed that has grown exponentially out of control. I’ve added a new filter that deletes new incoming articles that are not of interest to me. What I’d also like to do is delete the existing articles in that feed so that the entire feed is relevant to my needs, not just the new, incoming stuff. Does a simple method exist or is the only way to edit the database directly?

nope, can’t use filters for already existing articles. you’ll need to edit the DB.

1 Like