Feed polling frequency

I run a feed and have a few tt-rss clients that poll very aggressively – e.g., every five minutes, every ten minutes.

Ideally, tt-rss would have minimum polling frequencies that it enforced, and/or allowed feeds to hint at an approprate polling frequency. Determining an appropriate polling frequency based upon response cache-control might also work.

Out of the box the minimum available is 15 minutes, and HTTP 429 Too Many Requests from the source results in throttling. Ultimately, however, both can be circumvented.

edit: If-Modified-Since (with Last-Modified) is also used.

i’m going to go straight to shitposting, all thanks to @wn_name bothering to answer the technical part of your question (or was it a plea? cry for help? well, anyway).

as someone who has to deal with moderately used (not even proper ‘highload’) infrastructure, this kind of mindset never stops being funny to me.

stop obsessing over nginx logs of your 0.005 RPS personal blog, you’ll sleep better and ultimately live longer.

Thanks for your oh-so-helpful advice.

If you’re not running the client (tt-rss), but the server (blog, whatever), then there’s not much you can do, unless you rate-limit from the server side (your server, your rules).

If you want to configure the client (tt-rss), the default DAEMON_SLEEP_INTERVAL is 120s, and a minimum of 60s is enforced (so that’s your “minimum polling frequencies that it enforced”), you can add “–interval seconds” to however you invoke update_daemon2.php.

But as @fox said, why bother. If you feel DDoS’ed by a 5-min polling rate, then you have other problems ¯\(ツ)