Even log shows: Unable to determine version: Git error

• [ ] I’m using stock docker compose setup, unmodified.
  • [ ] I’m using docker compose setup, with modifications (modified .yml files, third party plugins/themes, etc.) - if so, describe your modifications in your post. Before reporting, see if your issue can be reproduced on the unmodified setup.
  • [X] I’m not using docker on my primary instance, but my issue can be reproduced on the aforementioned docker setup and/or official demo.

Running latest TT-RSS on OpenBSD 7.1 (manual install, not pkg).

Problem / error from log:

Unable to determine version: Git error [RC=127]: NOTICE: PHP message: PHP Warning: proc_open(): Exec failed: No such file or directory in /htdocs/tt-rss/classes/config.php on line 353

• Tiny Tiny RSS version (including git commit id):
    Latest (not sure how to determine version #).
  • Platform (i.e. Linux distro, Docker, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions:
    OpenBSD 7.1, PHP 8.1, Postgres 14.3

Code section:

336 /**
337 * @return array<string, int|string>
338 */
339 static function get_version_from_git(string $dir): array {
340 $descriptorspec = [
341 1 => [“pipe”, “w”], // STDOUT
342 2 => [“pipe”, “w”], // STDERR
343 ];
345 $rv = [
346 “status” => -1,
347 “version” => “”,
348 “commit” => “”,
349 “timestamp” => 0,
350 ];
352 $proc = proc_open(“git --no-pager log --pretty="version-%ct-%h" -n1 HEAD”,
353 $descriptorspec, $pipes, $dir);
355 if (is_resource($proc)) {
356 $stdout = trim(stream_get_contents($pipes[1]));
357 $stderr = trim(stream_get_contents($pipes[2]));
358 $status = proc_close($proc);
360 $rv[“status”] = $status;
362 list($check, $timestamp, $commit) = explode(“-”, $stdout);
364 if ($check == “version”) {
366 $rv[“version”] = date(“y.m”, (int)$timestamp) . “-$commit”;
367 $rv[“commit”] = $commit;
368 $rv[“timestamp”] = $timestamp;
370 // proc_close() may return -1 even if command completed successfully
371 // so if it looks like we got valid data, we ignore it
373 if ($rv[“status”] == -1)
374 $rv[“status”] = 0;
376 } else {
377 $rv[“version”] = T_sprintf(“Git error [RC=%d]: %s”, $status, $stderr);
378 }
379 }
381 return $rv;
382 }

Running manually:

git --no-pager log --pretty="version-%ct-%h" -n1 HEAD
“version-1660754295-60658be”

In OpenBSD, git was installed to /usr/local/bin/git so I have tried sym-linking /usr/local/bin/git to it and still seeing this warning in the logs.

i find it hard to believe.

p.s. you’re using a ‘research’ os (what kind of research is being accomplished by making a shitty disfunctional BSD clone is beyond me…) nobody sane uses in production. stuff like this is what you get.

(what kind of research is being accomplished by making a shitty disfunctional BSD clone is beyond me…)
Not only is that comment irrelevant and pointless, but it also makes no sense. Of course it’s beyond you, you have no idea what I use it for.

protip: your inability to figure out path issues with your php setup - whatever the cause - tells me everything i need to know. :slight_smile:

protip: your inability to figure out path issues with your php setup - whatever the cause - tells me everything i need to know.
Again, you’re not making much sense. That’s not a tip, it doesn’t offer anything of value to anyone.

I posted in hopes that this will help me and someone else with the same issue, but it seems reporting problems or bug here is futile if you think everyone should already have all the answers.

I will be nice enough to end this thread with some insight into the results of your reply, with consideration from of your terrible comment history.

1. I am a user, I do not code PHP and was coming here for help with a minor issue while away from the office, and to perhaps share this with others. I did not expect to be talked down to and to be un-assisted, so this was very unhelpful, to say the least.

2. I will be using this software in my company. Normally, we contribute regularly to such open source projects in lump sums and regular monthly donations and I am the one who does that, but I didn’t expect this type of rude and ignorant reply so this will not be happening now.

Here is a pro-tip for you:

Consider that there may have been others that would have donated to you too, but instead haven’t bothered to tell you they didn’t. In fact, we will consider having our developer employees fork this project; if so, the contributions will go towards the new project and it’s contributors instead… :slight_smile:

For the interim, thanks for starting this great starter project for us. It has been very useful so far, but I think that time is closing in for it. Now get cracking and produce me some newer, better code boy! On the double!

PS: OpenBSD is not a research OS, and it’s not a clone - you dolt! Get a clue. I don’t know where or how you got that from, but it’s very childish and foolish of you. If it wasn’t for OpenBSD, you would still be using telnet. Let that sink in kid.

i’m just quoting this gem in case you decide to delete it. :+1:

e: thanks for nothing, discourse!