Custom intervals

I know you HATE having too many option in the code, but I wonder if in some places where you have fixed values in the preferences but the code actually handles any value and the UI is just changing menu items to values, if you could add some flexibility for the user without complicating the code.

In the main preferences I can set default purge interval to any value I want(in days), but in edit feed you use a drop down and I can’t select/specify a custom purge interval for a feed/category. Can this be changed to make Edit Feed dialogue take a value just like preferences?

Same for update interval. You allow a drop with limited choices, but why not allow a user to choose a custom interval, perhaps multiples of 15 minutes (rounded up if not exact multiple).

Understand the desire for simplicity in the UI, but for users with a lot of feeds and wanting to tune, this can be useful. The data storage for both seems to be a number so this would just be a UI change.

Also would love to see an entry added to “mark as read” for “Custom” where we could enter the custom interval in preferences, in days, and it should be an easy few lined added to the case statement in Feeds:_catchup to support this (you already have the feed id so getting its preferences should be , but the prefs to enter the value, and the menu item added to the drop down.

Know you hate stuff like this so thanks for the consideration.

you’re right, to me this sounds like tweaking for the sake of tweaking.

there’s no control that would do this effectively. making a huge dropdown with hundreds (thousands? millions?) values in 15 minute increments is a ridiculous idea.

let it go.

Thanks, and am letting it go

BTW, didn’t think a drop down would be used for exactly the reason you mention. Thought it would be replaced by a box to enter an integer value, like you use for “Maximum age of fresh articles:” in preferences.

ah yes let’s replace everything with cryptic textboxes wherein you enter numbers in 15 minute increments.

truly a new age of UI experience.