Couldn’t download the specified URL: URL received after redirection failed extended validation

Hi,

Since a while I can’t seem to add new feeds anymore to TT-RSS. That is, I get tis error, when adding them:
“Couldn’t download the specified URL: URL received after redirection failed extended validation.”

I have this with every feed (or at least YouTube feeds, haven’t tried other feed types though). The same problem is also dealt with in Issues with LinxJournal feed - Tiny Tiny RSS: Community (tt-rss.org), but I couldn’t find a solution over there. The error seems to come from
include/functions.php: see topic [clarify some URL validation-related error messages · 3dd4169b5f - tt-rss - Tiny Tiny RSS]

I’ve SSH’d to my Synology NAS and used curl from /volume1/web/tt-rss: no problems experienced… I have updated TT-RSS today to the latest version (21.12-92747b1d2 (= 92747b1d21)), but still the same problem. NAs has been restarted, but even this doesn’t change anything…

For completeness: I’ve tried these feeds:

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

1. My feed doesn't parse properly, or does it? [myfeedsucks] - Support - Tiny Tiny RSS: Community

2. your sample feed works fine on my test instance. since you’re using an unsupported setup on an unsupported platform, i can’t really help you any further.

3. you can try posting feed debugger logs for failing feeds, there could be more information there. you can use preferences - feeds - batch subscribe to bypass all checks when adding feeds.

Thx, fox!

1. Aha, good to know! Will use this page from time to time :slight_smile: “My” feeds seem to work according to your test page.
  2. And as it seems to work in your test instance, it must be something specific to me.
  3. I had already tried bypassing the checks through the batch method. It works to add the feeds, but getting the content fails afterwards. So at the end that’s not a solution for me.

The weird thing is it worked for a very long time: I’ve added dozens of feeds (including from YouTube), but now there is something wrong.
Anyway, one debug log gave me this:
[19:54:00] start
[19:54:00] setting basic feed info for 350…
[19:54:00] running HOOK_FETCH_FEED handlers…
[19:54:00] feed data has not been modified by a plugin.
[19:54:00] local cache will not be used for this feed
[19:54:00] last unconditional update request:
[19:54:00] maximum allowed interval for conditional requests exceeded, forcing refetch
[19:54:00] fetching Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) (force_refetch: 1)…
[19:54:00] fetch done.
[19:54:00] effective URL (after redirects): (IP: )
[19:54:00] server last modified:
[19:54:00] unable to fetch: URL received after redirection failed extended validation. [-1]

I’m using PHP 7.4. I know the fact I’m using this on a Synology NAS makes it unsupported for you, but nevertheless I hope someone can come up with a good idea to solve my issue :slight_smile:

PS: @fox: what exactly are the “extended validation” items?µ

Thanks again!

Pedro

Update: it seems existing feeds don’t update anymore either. So I guess adding the feed itself is not an issue, but getting feed updates is (for new and existing feeds).

I guess one particular extended validation part is the cause, possibly something related to trusted root CAs, although I’m not sure of that.

Pedro

what if, instead of speculating, you’d actually search this forum. :thinking:

After searching the forum and the rest of the Net for a couple of days I still haven’t found an explanation for my error. I do have some extra news:

1. As I’ve said before I can’t add a new feed without the aforementioned error.
  2. It seems I DO get updates for existing feeds, even for feeds added with the aforementioned error! It’s like updating the feeds does work, but only after many dozens of failed attempts. Let me elucidate on that a little bit: TT-RSS says the last time my feeds were updated was on the 10th of this month and indeed, many feeds contain entries of that day. However, the default update interval was 15 minutes and I’m 100% sure many of those feeds should have entries more recent than 5 days (I’ve checked this just to be sure); many of those feeds have new entries every day! So it’s like updating the feeds fail almost always, except for an exception from time to time. This includes the MSRC feed (see my original post)!

So my problem is not really about adding feeds, it’s more like updating every feed I have: it works seldomly, but most of the time it seems to fail.

One weird thing: I have restarted my NAS 5 days ago, although a few hours before the last time TT-RSS has updated the feeds. Perhaps TT-RSS succeeded updating those feeds several times after that restart and got stuck somehow? Perhaps till a next reboot (I can’t check this for now, as I’m backuping up 15 TB with Duplicati right now and that tyakes a SERIOUS WHILE…)?

Anyone who has an idea what to investigate now and how to do that? Is there some TT-RSS log containing the different update attempts? Could it be that TT-RSS got stuck during a certain update attempt? If so, how to release this?
And of course: how to avoid this in the future? But hey, I would be happy if I advance at least a little bit in my research :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone helping me out or pointing me in the right direction in a meaningful way!

Regards,
Pedro

Well, I have some bad and some good news.

First the good news: my feeds get updated again. Including new feeds (with the aforementioned addition error)! So if I add a feed through the batch way, I get no error and it gets its feed items the next time TT-RSS updates its feeds. A possible explanation for why my feeds get updated again is the installation of the latest DSM for my Synology NAS (6.2.4-25556 Update 3; before I got 6.2.4-25556 Update 2). But I have no proof for that: it could also be my periodicity: perhaps my feeds get updated too frequently for the amount of feeds I have; perhaps, when my NAS comes under load, it can’t cope and some bug somewhere blocks new feed updates. Perhaps… We’ll see. If I get feed udpate issues again, I’ll lower the periodicity and reboot my NAS, after which I should not experience feed update errors anymore (except when there is another explanation for the issue of course…). Otherwise stated: I’m far from 100% sure the feed update issue will be solved permanently, but there is certainly hope :slight_smile:

The bad news then… I still get the aforementioned error when adding a new feed the “normal” way. But at least I can circumvent this through the batch way and wait for the next feed update cycle.

I’m still interested in the why of this error and how to get it solved. The feed debugger says this:
[16:41:14] start
[16:41:14] running HOOK_FETCH_FEED handlers…
[16:41:14] feed data has not been modified by a plugin.
[16:41:14] local cache will not be used for this feed
[16:41:14] last unconditional update request: 2022-01-30 16:34:41
[16:41:14] stored last modified for conditional request:
[16:41:14] fetching Scott Hanselman (force_refetch: )…
[16:41:15] fetch done.
[16:41:15] effective URL (after redirects): (IP: )
[16:41:15] server last modified:
[16:41:15] unable to fetch: URL received after redirection failed extended validation. [-1]

Any help is still greatly appreciated!
Thx!

Pedro

I’ve got the same error on unsupported shared hosting installation, recent but not up-to-date version 602e86842 (about 2 months old). While trying to run Feed Debugger it stopped at step “effective URL (after redirects):” which had empty response (no url or IP revealed).

My solution for now was to downgrade php from 8.1 to 8.0.