[Android] - permanent timeouts

Hi, I grown a really large set of feeds on my TT RSS instance. All was good until I had a very fast wifi connection to the server, but recently my provider slows down.

It has a very bad consequences for Android app - when I want to get to index of my feeds, instead of showing them, 90% of time I am getting “Connection timeout” and blank list.

I noticed that time to timeout is very short, 5 to 10 seconds, which is simply not enough to get all data from the server. Is it possible to extend it in some way? I do not see any related option in app configuration.

All works well in the browser, the problem is related to Andoid app only.

Please help! I can’t live without tt-rss on the phone, it’s my main source of news.

you can try organizing your feeds in categories so that they aren’t all requested at the same time and shown in a flat list.

the app normally requests small chunks of JSON data, it should work just fine within whatever the default http request timeout is (i don’t remember configuring anything there explicitly) even on unstable network.

i don’t think setting huge timeouts is a good idea in this case.

it even kinda-sorta works with EDGE & poor signal quality. do we really need higher timeouts? i’m not sure.

p.s. had to install android studio flatpak to check…

You are showing a very light instance, I have about 150.000 unread articles. Grouping is a workaround as it will require me to do more clicking to reach the feed I want to read and will probably solve situation just for a while until I will have to group the groups and so on…

articles are loaded in batches. it doesn’t matter how many you have total. you were, however, talking about feeds.

finding a feed, on android of all things, in a huge flat list sounds like unusable UI, so i’m definitely not going to increase http timeouts because of this combined with some godawful ISP you’re having.

they way i’m seeing this you can do one of those:

• get a better carrier (this is what i would personally do);
  • fork the app and set whatever timeouts you want;
  • put your feeds in categories so that individual JSON request is smaller;

I see, it’s really sad I need to find a working app :frowning: I got used to it.

there used to be another android client for tt-rss, i don’t remember the name. maybe it will work better for you.

no, you need to find a carrier not stuck in 2001.

Alternatively there’s the web-version for mobile, which I’ve been using for years without issue: GitHub - g2ttrss/g2ttrss-mobile: A Google inspired mobile interface for TT-RSS

There is GitHub - nilsbraden/ttrss-reader-fork: An Android-Client for the self-hosted Tiny Tiny RSS feedreader , last update June 2021. It is still available in the Google Play store