Add action to filters: Remove Star

In filter actions, one can pick ‘Set starred’, which I often use. Sometimes it would also be useful however to automatically remove stars. Could a ‘Remove Star’ action be added to the filter actions?
Thanks.

filters are only guaranteed to apply once when article is initially imported. i’m not sure what would be the point of adding this unless you want to add a star and then remove it in a subsequent filter or action.

in short, no.

btw filter system is pluggable so you could add this as a plugin action if you really wanted to, it’s just that i don’t think there’s any point in it.

Exactly, that would be my use case. I am searching for many keywords in the title and the content, and when they are present, I give it a star. But then there is a subset of articles with other keywords that make them uninteresting to me, so I would like to remove that star. And with the current tool-set, I don’t know how to implement something like star if (cond-s1 || cond-s2 || ... || cond-sn) && not(cond-us1 || cond-us2 || ... || cond-usn). Is there any way to implement this with the filters we have now?

for example, you could make a filter which runs first and matches both sets of conditions and do a stop / do nothing action on it. kinda cumbersome i guess but it should work.

e: i’m also somewhat not sure how action which cancel each other should be implemented, there’s nothing like that now.

OK, thanks, I will have a look into this ‘Stop / Do nothing’ action.

For your use-case it almost seems like using Scores would be a better fit. Since you can increase and decrease an article’s score based on a variety of conditions.

That’s true, I thought of that, but sometimes, for a long while I can’t read some articles, and I protect the interesting ones from being deleted with the star. Starred items don’t get deleted ever. But at the same time, I have to let the rest regularly deleted, because many thousands of articles would pile up otherwise. Also, scores are ignored in the Android app unfortunately. But apart from these, you are right, manipulating scores would have its benefits.

app uses same exact sorting (weighted by score) unless you specifically tell to sort by newest first etc.

@fox @JustAMacUser

I actually didn’t know this, thanks for the info. Let me then correct that mistaken statement: the scores are not displayed and cannot be edited in the app.