VPS hosting recommendations

those prices are nice but now with docker everywhere it seems that using LXC/OpenVZ/etc shared kernel containers would be too limiting. KVM is always more expensive. :frowning:

LXC can do nested containers if itā€™s enabled by the vendor. You can probably get by without containers, but that depends heavily on what youā€™re doing.

Iā€™m using scaleway only for TTRSS, on a dev virtual instance, 2.99ā‚¬ / mounth

It sorely depends on how many users you have. If itā€™s only you, it can probably run fine on a dirt-cheap 256 megs openvz vps (I have seen some for $4/year). Just donā€™t hit it too hard.

Anyway, Amazonā€™s Lightsail pricing starts at $3.5/month.

Hetznerā€™s basic VPSs have more memory and storage than Amazonā€™s offering, but they donā€™t have good connectivity to the US. (As for CPU, they probably donā€™t have enough)

If you want good performance from any php application I guess you cannot go lower than 2 cores. (For Hetzner, that means the second level, at 5ā‚¬/month; for Lightsail, it gets pricey at $20/month)

Actaully Iā€™m using VPSFree for a severals years. Itā€™s community OpenVZ hosting (now they migrating slowly to their own solution VPSAdminOS distro based on NixOS and utilising LXC right becouse of limitation of containers (they even provide KVM workaround, but you have run your own hypervisor and itā€™s not so straightforward). They do not have quite a lot for that price (4 GB RAM, 120 GB storage, 8 cores CPU, 250 GB mountable net stoarge, 300 Mbps network, regular backup) for 300 CZK/12 EUR / moth but what I really like is their Playground. Itā€™s kind of 2nd VPS available, which can run for 30 days. So you can for example clone your production VPS there and test configuration changes, installation, and whatever you want and then swap those two instances (so instance with changes will be production one now). Amazing feature I really do like. And I do have great experience with support as well. Worth to try.
Worth mention, that itā€™s based on community, so you become of member with access to resources. They have servers in Czech Republic only (Prague and Brno), so probably suitable only for europe based hostingā€¦

Parameters

Membership fees
https://kb.vpsfree.org/information/membership_fees

Hi, I looking for hardware recommendations, not providers.
What is the recommandations for vps type ?
I use about 100 feeds.
Is 1vcore 1gb and 20go enough ?

you should be fine. iā€™d use 2 cores though, with MAX_JOBS set to 1 to give postgres some breathing room during updates.

The VPS Iā€™m using is 1CPU, 2GB ram 50GB disk.

TTRSS running 190 feeds.

That server is also hosting 3 unrelated websites (one is a mediawiki, another an old version of zen-cart,) a further website under development, a mailserver, ownCloud, personal VPN, and various other bits and bobs unrelated to TTRSSā€¦

I think youā€™ll be fine with your spec.

@shabble,

Your setup sounds pretty much like mine. It never ceases to amaze me how well Linux can handle this kind of thing.