VPS hosting recommendations

This is a recommendation thread for VPS hosting services that can be used to run TT-RSS. Please do not post just a link but also a little blurb as to why your recommend that service.

:warning: :skull_and_crossbones: Any spamming such as creating an account to recommend your own little fly by night hosting, will be met with combined Russian, French, and Polish Hellfire.

Referral links will be considered spam.

In fact, anything remotely like an advert will be burned…

I use Linode which comes to around $25 per month with regular backups. You can get a cheaper VM as well but the one I use matches my usage so that’s what I get.

Their web interface is provides way to re-image your VM, move things about, and gives you nice usage statistics. Every so often, I get a “free” upgrade to a newer more powerful VM. They have rather good documentation on their site as to how to do system administration tasks. Their support was always friendly and actually helpful so there is that.

here’s what i’m using for almost all my stuff, tt-rss included (except for this forum and git.tt-rss.org) - Rent virtual dedicated VPS / VDS servers: Optimal prices for plans | FASTVPS

mostly because they’re using servers in Estonia which is geographically close so latency is low which makes doing stuff remotely less annoying.

I can second linode, and my other stuff lives on packet.net. Bare metal hosting, cheap nodes, really nice netboot/net console set up if you prefer to do your OS installations from the old school UI (or the super new school automation tools)

I have installed my TTRSS in https://opalstack.com/ and also several WordPress sites without problems in a shared host, for U$S 15 per month.
Opalstack are ex-workers of webfaction that was acquired by GoDaddy.

(deepL translation)

I used RamNode for years. I only had about 8 minutes of downtime across multiple instances. Performance was amazing.

Also used OVH. They’re kind of big and impersonal but their machines work fine.

@Kierun mentioning in the op that affiliate/referral links are not welcome is probably a good idea

The whole thread is a bad idea. The choice of a VPS has little to do with tt-rss.

Not necessarily… Some people may be capable of setting up a VPS but not sure where to find quality providers. If they can discover what others have used successfully it’s a win. (There are a lot of garbage providers out there and it can be difficult to get through the noise.)

While it’s not related specifically to TT-RSS, running on decent hardware makes a big difference. And in many ways it’s cheaper, faster, and more reliable to use a VPS than a dedicated machine in one’s home. I run a NAS at home and that costs me more in electricity than the machine running my instance of TT-RSS.

I am running most of my stuff on https://www.hetzner.de/cloud cloud servers and I have also some dedicated servers (mostly server auction) there.
Support is ok, never had any major issues. The also have cheap storagespaces you can backup all your stuff to (can also be mounted by samba/webdav if you really want – I am using borgbackup).
Important to mention, you are fully responsible monitoring on dedicated machines and you have to tell them, that your HDDs have to be swapped out (for free) if they got damaged blocks.

If going for more storage instead of SSD performance netcup GmbH - Root-Server is in my experience also painless to use.

I heard good things about Hetzner, a friend of mine is using them (a physical server and VPSes).

this forum has plenty of stuff which has actually little to do with tt-rss, like regular general self-hosting/privacy bullshit. who cares.

And not just electricity. Some ISPs put you behind NAT unless you pay extra for a static IP address.

I used to run tt-rss on the cheapest OpenVZ VPS I could find (about $10 per year), but the the “company” disappeared overnight and I later found out that the owner was illegally hosting his “customers” (me included) on his employer’s servers.

I’m not even mad. I’m just disappointed in myself for inadvertently helping a criminal. I’m sharing this as a cautionary tale against shady VPS providers.

I don’t recommend it, but I currently run tt-rss at home on a BeagleBone Black (an ARM SBC). I pay more for the static IP than a VPS, but at least I can run the OS I want without being at the mercy of the hosting provider.

lmao

20charrrrrRRrrr

I can recommend the German hosting Cooperative Hostsharing.
I run tt-rss on a Managed Webspace.

They have a redundant platform with high availability, failover and daily backups to a remote data center.
Your data is secure and you are operating in your own company, because it is a cooperative and you can decide about politics in the general assembly.

i use Aruba Cloud for about €3-4 a month its pretty good.

I use kazila.com for about $7USD per month. I also have a free tier AWS server that I use for experimentation for $0 per month. I have thought about switching to it but kazila works good enough.

A +1 for Linode, while I’m here being off-topic.

I’ve been using Amazon’s lightsail on an Ubuntu image. It runs $5/mo for my instance.

Been using an LXC from https://www.mikrovps.net/ for years.
Always wanted to have my instance within the EU.
Two cores, two GB RAM, 20GB Space = 26€/year.
Worked for me fine for years, using it for TT-RSS dedicated though…

Me too, I actually joined when they had a 1€/month promo for their basic VPS (1GB RAM, 20GB SSD) and been happy ever after.