Upgrade path from a very old version

I was using tt-rss years ago, and I recently came back to it. However, my installation is v1.10, and it the demo indicates that we’re up to version 20. I tried to force upgrade, but the script was unable to fetch any version information.

This installation isn’t using Docker, just a manual LAMP stack installation. What do I need to do to get up to the most recent version?

since you’re also using mysql, the easiest upgrade path would be exporting OPML of your feed subscriptions, deploying latest version using docker-compose, and then importing OPML there. this way you’d be on a proper supported path, and switch to postgres in one go.

you can also upgrade all the way up manually (git clone 1.10 and go from there) but it would be more complicated, especially because php and database server requirements (even SQL syntax) changed over the years. if your install is on an old enough server, newer tt-rss versions stop running at some point. you’ll keep all the articles though.

that’s just year-month-changeset versioning instead of the old x.y.z semantic one.

Thanks for the reply. I’d like to continue running the installation the way I have it, as a virtualhost in apache, and I’d like to keep my directory. It sounds like what you’re recommending is that I install a second instance with Docker, and then import my old feeds.

I looked at the ‘dynamic’ installation instructions from the website, and they still use Docker. Is this the only way to install tiny tiny rss now?

It’s the only supported way. You can still run TT-RSS the way you have it installed, but you need to know you’re running an unsupported install.

I still run mine without Docker, but I’d have no idea to upgrade from a really old install. You could basically just do a bit of what fox suggested but without Docker: export OPML, drop and re-create the database, git pull the latest version, then setup the user and import the OPML.