I’m pretty sure the problem here originates with Reddit, and I’m only really posting here in case the outcome in TT-RSS is undesirable.
Let’s get the basics out of the way. Haven’t gotten around to building a test environment to figure out migrating to a docker setup, so…
Apache 2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
Not sure which commit I was on initially, but upgraded and behavior continued on TTRSS v20.01-01513aa41
Firefox 72.0.1 on Windows 10 client
Chrome 79.0.3945.130 on Windows 10 client
TTRSS app 1.277 (511) Build timestamp 2019.11.30 05:30:21
TTRSS is set for Combined Mode, show content preview in headlines
Edit for plugins:
auth_internal, af_comics, af_fsckportal, af_redditimgur, af_tumblr_1280, af_unburn, af_youtube_embed, af_zz_noautoplay, feedstatistics, no_iframes, no_url_hashes, note, tumblr_gdpr_ua
If you want a feed to test/duplicate with, pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/z7RHqjUm
Symptoms and examination:
Noticed that my Reddit category had an unread entry. Clicked on the category; nothing on the right. Okay, weird.
After investigation, the article does not appear in Firefox or in Chrome when it should. (checked that it was retrieved with browser debug tools)
It does show up in the TTRSS app.
If you scroll through articles with Ctrl+Arrow, the active article skips over the missing article completely.
If you select all, you can mark it as read/unread.
At one point, I was able to make it the active article when no others were available (cannot remember how I did this?) and could open with o, which is how I discovered it had quotes in the title.
From Firefox’s source, to give an idea of what’s going wrong:
<a class=“title” title=“Discreet " trail”="" lights="" in="" factory="" cutouts="" within="" my="" grille"="" target="_blank" rel=“noopener noreferrer” href=“https://www.reddit.com/r/battlewagon/comments/epqzm5/discreet_trail_lights_hidden_in_factory_cutouts/” hidden="">
In Firefox, the div for this entry is completely greyed out. Not familiar enough with inspector to know what that indicates, but fixing the quotes in the entry did not make it appear normally.
I ran the feed through myfeedsucks just to see how it was being interpreted, if anything seemed odd, etc. Nothing noteworthy seemed to happen.
When the article was initially imported, I had af_redditimgur enabled. I tried disabling it and fetching via feed debugger with refetch/rehash enabled, no change in how everything appeared in the web client.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Reddit wasn’t escaping the quote properly, but in the end, the invisible article and the escape into HTML seemed less than ideal, so I felt I had the responsibility to report it was happening. Nothing seemed to actually break, other than the hidden entry. I didn’t see anything in the error log. Nothing appear to have come out in the daemon’s command line.
If this isn’t a concern, then disregard. Searched the forum for amp quot just to see if anything relevant came up; didn’t seem to be.