Tiny Tiny RSS: Community

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

Hello,

Describe the problem you’re having:

My tt-rss instance works fine when it is read from various browsers, including TTRSS reader on Android or Firefox on MS-Windows, but not from Firefox 76 or 77 on FreeBSD, which displays the following error:

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

Stack trace:
[email protected]://my-site.net/tt-rss/js/AppBase.js?1588513540:341:23
constructor/</<@protocol://my-site.net/tt-rss/js/tt-rss.js?1588513540:95:13
[email protected]://my-site.net/tt-rss/js/common.js?1588513540:26:40
respondToReadyState[email protected]://my-site.net/tt-rss/lib/prototype.js?1588513540:1827:62
[email protected]://my-site.net/tt-rss/lib/prototype.js?1588513540:1756:12

There is a button “Close this window”

Then it begin to load the page, and stops at 30 %.

If possible include steps to reproduce the problem:

Every time. I tried to empty the cache, of from a private window: same error.

tt-rss version (including git commit id):

Commit ID: c8243b03c
Installed from the package tt-rss-g20200503,1 on FreeBSD

Platform (i.e. Linux distro, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions:

FreeBSD 12.1.

Please provide any additional information below:

The server part works without problem, this is just the web HTML on a particular browser.
No similar problem found on this forum!

Note: since this forum does not allow to paste links, I had to modify the trace.

I’m using Firefox 77 on FreeBSD and have no problems whatsoever with ttrss. Although I’m not using it from any package. I’m using it the way nature intended cloned from git. So I suspect the first thing would be to at least be using commit 06cc6e3a2 which is the latest at the time of writing.

Hello,
I’ve just upgraded to 06cc6e3a2, and of course I’m still getting the same error.

Since tt-rss aparently is working fine in other browsers on other platforms, the problem is not with tt-rss. I suggest trying another browser.

Yes, exactly: I confirm that it works fine with other browsers.

I just wanted to know if others have experienced the same error with TT-RSS / Firefox.

I don’t know why you say “of course”. As I said I’m using FF 77 on FreeBSD and don’t have the same problem at all. So I could just say “of course” it must be your problem.

Do you have any plugins enabled that could cause issues? Maybe some adblocker, javascript blocker, that kind of thing? Worth disabling plugins or whitelisting the site to check.

Hello,
I just said “of course” because nothing in the recent changelog seems related to this.
I tried several things: empty the cache, launch from a private window, etc.
I’m using uBlock Origin as an adblocker, like many people do, and deactivating it does not change anything: at this point, there is nothing to block on the page.
I’m sure that you are right: it must be some setting on my side, but I have not yet found it.

Remark: if someone else get the same failure, the problem is caused by something in my profile.
When I launch the same firefox on the same workstation with a new profile, by

$ firefox --new-instance --profile $(mktemp -dt ffprofile)

it works!
(but not in a private window of my usual profile)