Support for PHP 8.1

Count me in as someone who has been running tt-rss on Debian for several years now and who sees Docker as a needless complexity.

Same here. Hate to think how long I’ve been a user. My install still runs on Debian. I prefer the flexibility a native install gives me over docker.

nope. too much effort.

this stuff is exactly what i was talking about earlier.

I run TT-RSS in a Linux Container (LXC) because that’s how I prefer things. It’s unfortunate that Debian 11 doesn’t include a more recent version of PHP, but not the end of the world. For those running Debian, you can add deb.sury.org as a source and get more recent versions of PHP from there. It’s what I use when needed.

And ubuntu, too, I see. Thanks for that clue!

For ubuntu I can recommend a custom ppa called “ondrej/php”. It has delivered new PHP releases always in short time. You can add it via sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php. With it you can even run multiple php-fpm versions in parallel. More info on its launchpad site: ***** The main PPA for supported PHP versions with many PECL ext... : Ondřej Surý

Maybe also an option for the Docker container to switch from alpine to ubuntu and use that ppa?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

/20char

I searched and couldn’t find a clear answer. Is there a resolution to this?

I am using the git method and not docker. I just updated to Ubuntu 22.04 beta which delviers final later this month amd it uses 8.1 / Postgresql 14. I am seeing the errorr, “Class “ORM” not found in /usr/share/nginx/html/ttrss/classes/logger/sql.php:7”. I can use the update.php to dump opml and users, so I have the data transfered to Postgresql14 and it seems this is the 8.1 issue discussed above.

BTW, Fedora 36 also uses php8.1

I guess that 8.1 is not officially supported but for Ubuntu that is about to create a problem. If the issue is still avoiding updating because of the need to support php7, can you post a code change we can manually add? Thanks in advance.

https://git-gitea.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/pulls/67#issuecomment-559

dependency issues like this is one of the reasons why everyone has switched to docker.

thanks very much, fox. i haven’t used docker and i did give it a try but I obviously made a mistake and couldn’t figure it out without learning more. I also use nginx and a non-standard port, so I’ll have to read about that interaction as well. Know there are threads here on that as well.

I just hate extra layers. Have to trust the OS distribution and I am trusting your code. But the docker repository adds another layer or more of trust. Given some of the issues with open source being hijacked and some devs intentionally breaking their code as protest, I like to keep things simpler. But I do udnerstand that docker makes your life easier.

But the docker repository adds another layer or more of trust

If you’re that concerned run your own docker repository, build the base images yourself and then use/modify the dynamic docker-compose repo to satisfy your personal level of paranoia.

Docker can be painfully transparent despite what many seem to say

it’s a matter of perspective. one could argue that having php and its dependencies installed on the host is an unnecessary ‘extra layer’. same with host nginx (as opposed to k8s ingress) for that matter.

Yeah, I just upgraded to Fedora 36 and it is using PHP 8.1.5 and I’m getting the class “ORM” errors. Any idea when PHP support for 8.1 will be available? I’ve been running the git version for years now and I’d rather not have to deal with a docker install if this is going to be fixed in the near future.

if you want the ETA on idiorm developers merging the PR, i suggest asking them.

thank you for sharing this valuable tidbit of information.

I guess I don’t understand why we are holding up people who upgrade their systems for a feature of PHP 7? If people don’t want to upgrade, they could use docker. Why keep everyone else hostage?

Then of course there is this: Should Idiorm be marked as end of life? · Issue #360 · j4mie/idiorm · GitHub
Basically saying that the project is EOL.

I also wanted to stay with git version, but it is very clear that fox wants to simplify his workload by moving all to docker, which is a self-container environment and eliminates all the issues related to the environments and variations that might be installed. It is Fox’s project and his time we are benefiting from so I decided, after a bit of nudging above, to respect his stated direction and moved to the docket environment even though I still prefer the git environment.

As with any open source software, if I don’t like the decisions he is making, I am free to fork/modify code, but as with other software, there are no guarantees of help/support if I do.

i’m not holding anyone hostage. you chose to stay with an unsupported setup, now you’re experiencing the consequences of that choice.

try actually reading that link you posted.

I did read the whole post, these are the highlights:
“Where Idiorm could be patched to support newer versions of PHP or a PSR it was updated. Future compatibility with PHP versions is never guaranteed with any open source project. It would seem that Idiorm is now at the point where support for newer versions would require changes to the API - this work will not be completed.”
“Idiorm is not modern or widely supported by a big team of developers. Eloquent is. Idiorm will continue to support developers that are stuck on old versions of PHP, but will not guarantee support for future PHP versions. So, new projects or projects upgrading to newer PHP versions should take the opportunity to replace Idiorm with another database library.”
“Continued support of newer PHP versions would require breaking API changes - users would need to update their projects to match this new API. Given that this refactoring work would be required anyway it makes sense that a migration to Eloquent occurs instead.”

It’s your project and you can handle it any way you wish. If you don’t want to support new versions of PHP that’s fine.

words of wisdom.

anyway, since we’re waiting on idiorm, i don’t see any point in continued squabbling here, so i’m locking this thread.