[solved] Media display according to browsers

This is my first message, hello everybody !
My TT-RSS has been running to the perfection on a shared hosting since June 2018. Present release : v17.12.
But the medias are not displayed the same way within the articles according to the browser in use.
Videos always return a black screen.
Photos are replaced by their URL in Firefox, while they are correctly displayed in SeaMonkey (or in Thunderbird while using its own feed reader).
What can be done in Firefox to enable photos display ? Eventually, but it is less important, how can I run the videos indide my TT-RSS ?
Thank you.

Did you update it since 2018? I really hops so…

All the browser issues with media I have been having were down to uMatrix. You sure you have no plugins/addon that messes with things?

You’re on a fairly old version (v17.12 meaning December 2017), and as of 2021 only the Docker approach is officially supported (see Installation Notes).

If disabling plugins and removing custom CSS/themes doesn’t fix the display issue, and really even if it does, I’d recommend updating tt-rss (and switching to the Docker approach if possible). You might also want to try temporarily disabling browser add-ons.

This release is the only one I succeeded to install on a shared hosting. I tried a more recent to no avail. I won’t be able to manage a dedicated server and I do not want to depend on anyone. I have capabilities, I manage 2 or 3 dozen various sites. But managing dedicated or self-hosted servers is not one of my talents.
I was just asking in case anybody knows how to display medias in Firefox when they are not in the primary website, but in an other site integrated in the page, just as TT-RSS does.

An alternative option would be the Feedbro Firefox extension, but I would loose al lthe benefit of TT-RSS with sharing (especially in my Shaarlis), publishing, creating special rss feeds and so on

PS : Sorry about my English, it’s not my first language.

Images should display by default, which is why I recommended disabling all non-essential things. You might also want to confirm:

• “Use less traffic” is not checked when you log in
  • The “Do not embed media” user preference is not checked

my guess would be something related to mixed content. also good luck with your tt-rss from 2017 with known vulnerabilities.

That was it ! Many thanks : without the “use less traffic” settings, my images are back.

This really seems like the right answer (especially the first one, Use less traffic). Looks like you resolved it while I was writing this.

There’s not a lot changed from an installation point-of-view. Just git pull, update the database schema and move on. Maybe a few config.php settings.

As fox said, there are known vulnerabilities and running an old installation is risky. If you’re on shared hosting you risk your account being suspended if someone exploits your installation, which could impact your other sites as well if they’re under the same account.

If you absolutely cannot update TT-RSS, consider putting it behind HTTP authentication or something (you can even use that as a login method with auth_remote plugin). HTTP authentication would prevent access to any files without logging in so it would provide some protection. It might not be compatible with third-party/mobile apps though.

Thank you for the advice. My TT-RSS is just fo me and requires loging before accessing the site. I hope that is adequate protection.
I made another install of the 2017 release at another host and will test updating there.

it’s not. even http auth is barely adequate.

you’re using software that is known to be insecure in a completely insecure environment. if someone bothers to exploit you, you’ll get the consequences you deserve.

Well, newest release is not stupid-user friendly.
Thanks all the same for your concern.
But I was just looking for help to display pictures in Firefox …

how so? it’s all the same, really.

I know it’s not your main reason for posting here but… How is it that different? Fox is requiring the use of Docker as a supported setup, but it’s not strictly required to run the software. Using TT-RSS the previous way works pretty much the exact same. I know, because that’s how I run mine and have been doing so for nearly a decade now.

If you’re having difficulties upgrading because maybe there’s some strange database error that’s causing problems, just export an OPML file, setup a clean install, and import the OPML file.

There’s a lot of tweaks that make things nicer these days. Even little things like icon/font layouts, plugins like Readability and image proxy, improvements to the plugin architecture, and a ton of under-the-hood security improvements to keep things safer as content is fetched from remote sites.

(As an aside, the security issues fox speaks of are well-documented CVEs which provide detailed methods for exploiting the software. If you’re going to run software on the public-facing Internet, you really should be a good citizen and keep things up-to-date; it benefits you and others.)

My TT-RSS is just for me, behind a login form and nobody knows what is behind. It is not indexed anywhere in anyway. And I never met any problem.

I tried the more recent release with a brand new install, not an update, on another server, to be honest. And was not able to launch anything : there was an error message, can’t even remember what, I noted that there was no install.php and concluded that this release what not for shared hosting.
I deleted the whole thing and forgot about it. I did not even think of coming back here for help, since I had understood from several messages, that I would not get any support with such an install. I mean shared hosting.

But I can make another try and tell you what it is about.

Thanks to both of you for your explanations and concern.

You are running software with known vulnerabilities. Even you “clever” security through obscurity will not save you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It is your call. We warned you. I just hope your mistakes do not hurt others…

I have been warned. Thanks. It’s not that I do not want to upgrade, it is that I can’t.
I do not know how to install this newest release on a shared server.
I tried twice and do not know how to begin. I did not see anything that could help on the wiki.
I could not find the slightest clue. I have a brand new TT-rss uploaded on the server and just do not know how to configure it or connect it to the data base.
While I was able to install again a TT-RSS from 2017.

Could anybody give some advice, please ?

Yes. Try again and this time reply with the error(s) you receive.

Thanks
I just upload the content of the zip to a folder at my hosting provider and got that :

Exception while creating PDO object:could not find driver

I do not know what I must launch to configure the site and connect it to the database.

You’re on shared hosting so I’m assuming you’re using MySQL. Make sure you’ve set that you’re using MySQL in the config.php file. If you’re still getting this error, find out what version of PHP you’re using. PDO is normally installed with PHP since it’s pretty common these days. Creating a page with just <?php phpinfo(); ?> and accessing that from a browser will tell you what modules are available. Be sure to delete this file afterward.

If PDO is not available, talk to your hosting provider. If it is, then you’ve likely just not set MySQL as the database type.

I found the config.php file and tried to fill it which I had not done before. It’s not a success : I get a blank page now .
Thanks for helping

Edit : PDO is enabled for sqlite and Mysql.
Php version is 7.4.25 . I can choose php8.