Next Feed with Unread Keyboard Shortcut?

Hi all! Long time user of TTRSS here.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to use keyboard shortcuts to not only go between next/previous feeds, but rather to go between feeds that have any unread articles in them. Or if there’s such a plugin available?

Thanks!

Tomer

If you’ve set TT-RSS to show all feeds, the keyboard shortcuts navigate every feed. If you set TT-RSS to show only feeds with unread articles, the keyboard shortcuts only navigate between feeds with unread.

tl;dr

The keyboard shortcuts navigate feeds that are visible. Toggle visibility of feeds with un/read with f a.

i think most of the plumbing for this exists, except for actual hotkeys. those could map to, for example, shift+j/k.

there you go

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/commit/8574532b7f57593af41719c478258fc0024cd523

My hero! :raised_hands: thanks for going ahead and implementing this!

Is it just me, or are these new binds backwards? j should be down, but it goes up, and k goes down when it should go up. Compare to the in-feed moving between articles (which I have set to sort oldest first if that makes the difference).

Default behavior is ‘j’ moves up to next unread feed, ‘k’ moves down… To reverse this behavior you need the ‘hotkeys_swap_jk’ plugin installed and enabled.

With that typed. I have the ‘hotkeys_swap_jk’ plugin installed and enabled and ‘j/k’ and ‘Shift+j/k’ (with the latest commits (8574532b7)) works as expected for me, i.e., 'j and ‘J’=down, k/K=up.

Edit to add: the ‘hotkeys_swap_jk’ plugin is not an additional install, it’s already included by default and just needs to be enabled as described above.

I have that hotkeys_swap_jk plugin available but shows as inactive in my user preferences. If I enable it I’m going to have both next message and next feed backwards so far as I’m concerned, aren’t I ?

j/k, I thought, are meant to be ‘vi’ style keys, and that means k should go up, and j down.

That’s what the plugin does, per its description:

1. I’m using officlal docker-compose setup

2. In “docker exec -it ttrss-docker_app_1 /bin/sh” I see the following:

/var/www/html/tt-rss/plugins # ls
    af_comics auto_assign_labels no_iframes
    af_psql_trgm bookmarklets note
    af_readability cache_starred_images nsfw
    af_redditimgur googlereaderkeys share
    af_youtube_embed hotkeys_force_top shorten_expanded
    af_zz_vidmute hotkeys_noscroll toggle_sidebar
    auth_internal hotkeys_swap_jk
    auth_remote index.html
    /var/www/html/tt-rss/plugins # cd …/plugins.local/
    /var/www/html/tt-rss/plugins.local # ls
    ff_ed_galnet ff_rsi_commlink index.html nginx_xaccel
    /var/www/html/tt-rss/plugins.local #

So I have only a system copy of the hotkeys_swap_jk plugin.

1. In my user account preferences, the hotkeys_swap_jk plugin shows as disabled. I’ve double-checked this with the default theme (I usually use the night theme).

2. I use “Adaptive” mode and “Oldest First”, “Combined mode” is active.

3. Hitting ‘j’ (only the key, no shift) whilst viewing an article causes the article below it to become active and shown. Hitting only ‘k’ (only the key, no shift) whilst viewing an article causes the article above it to become active and shown.

4. Hitting ‘J’ (the key, with shift) causes navigation to move to UP to the next category with unread articles. Hitting ‘K’ (the key, with shift) causes navigation to move DOWN to the next category with unread articles. NB: This functionality will ‘wrap around’ if needs be.

So, without hotkeys_swap_jk active I am getting the expect ‘vi’ behaviour on moving between individual articles within a feed/category, but I am getting the opposite with the shifted keys for moving between article categories.

It’s inconsistent.

I just toggled (so should be enabled) that hotkeys_swap_jk plugin, force-reloaded after saving to be sure, and now ‘j’ (no shift’) is going down a category?

Is my display of active plugins somehow inverted, or I’m misreading it ? With what I think is disabled it looks like: https://miggy.org/pics/misc/ttrss-hotkeys_swap_jk-plugin.png

Hmmm, maybe that ‘googlereaderkeys’ plugin is implicated in this as well ?

most likely some other plugin - googlereaderkeys - is modifying hotkey maps for you.

j/k move between feeds, same as J/K between unread feeds, swap_jk modifies those to work the same but in reverse.

i’m not sure if googlereader plugin is needed in trunk at all. it should be split out into plugin installer system or deprecated entirely, because i’m not actively maintaining it anyway.

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/ttrss-googlereaderkeys

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/commit/d09a64d6f9f5cb9c575986d32d1f8cfa3f183384

since it’s not actively maintained and hotkey maps modified like that cause inconsistencies within tt-rss UI, i don’t want to put split version on the plugin “easy” installer.

people who want to continue living like its 2013 can install it manually from gitea.

Yup, it’ll be googlereaderkeys, and I hear you on deprecating it as it’s certainly caused confusion in this case.

I can maintain a local version of it for my tastes if needs be.

@Athanasius, any chance you’d be willing to make your maintained version publicly available?

Uh, sure… when I actually get around to it.

I’m currently busy with other things, but at some point I’ll no doubt update my ttrss again, lose googlereaderkeys and get around to sorting it all out, and adding the ‘next unread feed’ support in if it’s not in the repo that fox split it out into.

No ETA.

Of course, totally understood! I’m not expecting any particular level of service here. :smiley:

@fox Could I please get forking permissions for https://git.tt-rss.org/Athanasius ?

i think it should work now, it was a permission issue unrelated to your account.