Moving to Docker with external MySQL DB

Hi TTRSS community!

I’m looking to move my TTRSS to Docker and I have all my data in a MySQL DB. I’m a noob at Docker and want to get it moved ASAP. Is there any documentation for dummies on getting set up with Docker using external MySQL DB? I’m open to converting the DB to another format if helpful?

Thanks everyone!

Jimbow

Hey Jimbow;

use the form search; There are a lot of tips hiding here :wink: like this:

Migrating from MySQL to PostgreSQL different server versions - #20 by nodiscc - Tiny Tiny RSS - Tiny Tiny RSS: Community please do not copy 1:1, that will not work.

As far as your knowledge of docker is concerned, you should have the will to familiarise yourself with it. There are certainly one or two stumbling blocks;

First start with the OPML Export incl. tt-rss settings.
Second, add fox data_migration plugin to export the rest Git repository browser

Setup docker like you want to and do the import in the same order. You should start with static-dockerhub :https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/ttrss-docker-compose/src/branch/static-dockerhub

Happy coding.

its probably not the wisest idea to start anything tt-rss with mysql in general.

Wonderful stuff, thanks!

I’m glad it’s helpful for you. I have changed my installation (LEMP) in the same way. Fox’s advice is not to be neglected and the use of resources is also much better!

Your situation, ttrss w MySQL in to docker, is probably a common migration path. I have 2 ttrss instances that have been running and updating since Googles RSS solution shutdown. I encourage you to post hints as you migrate. I hope someone will write a consolidated wiki page for this migration path.

I usually wait for ~48hrs of commit quiet before doing a new pull. I’m now 555 commits behind. Ttrss is very possible my most useful compute task. I’m very grateful for the software, but this is a bit frustrating.

I feel ya @jboehm. I just did a revert do an old pull until I figure out docker.

My goal is to learn the ground work of docker and do a test migrate on another VPS. I’ll document everything as I go and publish here.

Thanks again everyone and @fox !

So I’ve finally migrated from my old setup that was using MySQL and now running PostSQL on Docker. Here’s the steps: (Thanks @T2D and @nodiscc for the link above)

Original Machine

• Install data migration plugin

• export OPML

• Update config and add data_migration to your plugins

• export your DB

• sudo -u www-data php /var/www/Tiny-Tiny-RSS/update.php --data_user user --data_export /tmp/File.zip

New Docker

• sudo usermod -aG docker linux_user

• newgrp docker

• Download and install ttrss and configs

• Start ttrss

• docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d
  • Login to TTRSS

• Plugins
    • Install plugins > data migration
  • Shutdown docker

• docker-compose down && docker-compose rm
  • edit .env file and add data_migration

• TTRSS_PLUGINS=auth_remote, data_migration
  • Startup docker

• docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d
  • copy DB to docker (app) ttrss-docker_app_1

• docker cp …/File.zip 2e1ec87e717d:/tmp/
  • docker-compose exec --user app app php8 /var/www/html/tt-rss/update.php --data_user user --data_import /tmp/File.zip