Looks like mysql in tt-rss is over (UPD: or is it?)

i’m not very sad to report that it looks like mysql support in tt-rss is going away™ soon™

https://community.tt-rss.org/t/errors-on-edit-feed-and-edit-filter-dialogs/4365

the fact that it took so long for someone to report this very obvious breakage is telling, i think.

Oh no :frowning:
I understand why, but what a sadness for me.

This is the saddest news for me and my lack of competence. :anguished:
No lockdown will be long enough for me to get up to speed…hope it will take you forever to kill mysql support ;D

I know “shared hosting isn’t supported” but it is cheaper and I probably need a better shared hosting service. But my current host only offers MySQL, so I’m hoping it will take a bit before it quits working completely.

With that said, is there a handy guide out there for moving from mysql to postgres?

Any shared hosting recommendations that have postgres?

would be very sad -.-

Best bet is to use the migration plugin:

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/ttrss-data-migration

None, but VPS providers are a dime a dozen. Pick a sensible distro (I use Debian for everything). Setup a firewall. Limit SSH access to keys. After that there’s little to do except run software updates. Both Debian and Ubuntu are very unlikely to break if you stick with the basics.

VPS always seems to be a lot higher in price per month, or I just don’t know where to look.

Search is your friend:

https://community.tt-rss.org/t/vps-hosting-recommendations/2861

I’m in the exact same boat (and maybe I’m less skilled) but I was looking at hetzner and the CX11 or CPX11 solution 2.50 or 3.50 euros a month, way less than my shared hosting atm.
I’ve seen it also mentioned around here and for what I can tell its reliable enough… good luck :smiley: to us

I recommend having a look at lowendbox.com for offers.
Make sure to check comments before buying, because not all providers are reliable.

Just got me a real low end instance as well to get some practise with docker & tt-rss since I do not use docker (but postgres at last).

i have a setup for testing now:

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/ttrss-docker-compose/src/branch/mariadb-unsupported

so it seems that mysql support lives on, for the time being.

still, we’re basically one major incompatibility away from mysql being dropped. so, if possible, you should migrate (to the postgres compose setup).

I tried to move to Postgres with the help of the “data migration” plugin which always give me an error “Segmentation fault” at offset 30000 making an incomplete ~35Mb zip file. Yeah, I have a ~1Gb db in size (165Mb packed) with plenty of starred articles from the past. I did the export via “pgloader” connecting to the mysql db from the shell just to know how to do this just in case. But for me as well as for many other users I believe, Mysql support would be great as many hosters offer this only by default. Self-hosted is fast and requires only config.php editing, db export/import is also easy - no issues in migrating between different providers and docker is an overkill for me - I have zero knowledge how to deal with it and I failed to setup it following the published instructions (my bad I know, but I’m not ready to get rid of the setup which just works - thanks for the great coding!).

if you PM me the database dump, i can try making data_migration not crash on it.

Many thanks but I won’t take your precious time. I like investigating new things and tech, probably some day I will try to find more time to get used with the docker and postgres - for now I can do the export and hope someday I can do the import. At least lack of knowledge will be an additional point of challenge to get it )
Cheers and have a good weekend!

you data hoarders always refuse to share, huh :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

anyway,

[19:06:39/2542] processing articles, offset: 33000
[19:07:11/2542] exported 33979 articles to /var/www/html/fox.zip.

gonna try again when my test database fills up more, i guess.

I’ve always needed a kick in the head to get around to getting postgres up and working - I’ve always just relied on mysql.

This might be the concussion I need.

You could go the whole hog and learn about docker instead… New Horizons, New Experinces etc. (Wouldn’t surprise me to find some advertising company has used that for one of their customers. No, I’m not googling for it.)

T’was the final push for me to move to docker, after half-trying numerous times in the past and failing miserably (I had nginx issues, confounded by the fact I have a few sites running on that server.)

Yup I have docker here and use it, but having an entirely new stack (php8, nginx) running just to serve TT-RSS is overkill for me, my little home server doesn’t really have much free memory etc. Anyway it seems giving the thread another read over that mysql isn’t dead yet (just resting) so I’ll FEAR CHANGE and keep doing what I’m doing :slight_smile:

Thanks all.

CONTAINER ID   NAME                                CPU %     MEM USAGE / LIMIT     MEM %     NET I/O           BLOCK I/O         PIDS
b6116ce3341f   ttrss-docker-fox_updater_1          13.20%    42.52MiB / 7.617GiB   0.55%     50.6MB / 7.14MB   1.11MB / 5.61MB   5
c857016977ac   ttrss-docker-fox_web-nginx_1        0.00%     4.941MiB / 7.617GiB   0.06%     2.25MB / 23.6MB   3.7MB / 16.4kB    67
2602f981854c   ttrss-docker-fox_backups_1          0.00%     1.008MiB / 7.617GiB   0.01%     8.92kB / 0B       12.3kB / 0B       2
6634df7852e5   ttrss-docker-fox_app_1              0.01%     46.01MiB / 7.617GiB   0.59%     4.17MB / 4.75MB   17.7MB / 84.5MB   5

oh no not the 90 megabytes of used ram

Hmmm ok, if it’s that light I will give it a go.
Thanks fox.