I made a thing (for books)

The whole pin site to desktop kinda works like shit in android so after being annoyed with it for a while I quickly hacked together a native wrapper for The Epube. I didn’t plan to release it but it looks kinda nice, so here’s it is.

Note that I didn’t bother to implement preferences UI so the location of Epube installation is hardcoded in the main activity. Should be very easy to change.

Here’s how it looks like:

It is essentially a web app in a container but just as Epube proper it’s fully offline capable.

Repo here: Git repository browser

I finally have an e-reader with android and am looking at possibly deploying this.
Do you know about how much work it would take to implement left justification without hyphenation? Would you accept a pull request for that?

hyphenation is optional, but it justifies text by default. it shouldn’t be hard to add left-align.

there’s a few more things you should know:

• there’s a epubjs bug which is unlikely to get fixed (the library looks abandoned) and requires ugly workarounds, it shows up on some devices - Columns shift right when switching pages · Issue #1218 · futurepress/epub.js · GitHub

• i would recommend using the Epube android app which makes android experience much better, however it currently needs to be recompiled to point at your epube website because I was too lazy to make it a preference. again, it’s not hard, just need android studio (you can also rebuild from cli using gradle, i guess)

e: there’s also a demo.