Feed keyboard navigation

Hello,
I have found that keyboard navigation of feeds has become worse and worse with time. At the beginning, I could select an item (say, from the new articles meta-feed) and press my up arrow key (I usually scroll them backwards) to go to the previous item. The previous item would be shown in place (i.e. the feed roll wouldn’t move up or down, if you get what I mean).
After an update a while ago (a few months? a year?) this behaviour changed. The up arrow key would still load the previous item, but now this would move at the very top of the window, which was inconvenient for me because I use the “keyboard scrolling” to just quickly read titles of posts and mark as read what I’m not interested in. With the new behaviour, I had to press the arrow key twice to be able to read the title of the previous item, and then a third time to actually open it.
Yesterday I updated tt-rss again (I hadn’t done it for a month maybe) and now things are even worse: I can’t use the up arrow key to navigate the feed roll at all, now they key would just move the list up and down without opening any item.
Is there a way to go back to the very original behaviour, or at least to the behaviour that was there until a month ago or so?

Thanks,
Iacopo

You can try
#headlines-frame.smooth-scroll,
#content-insert {
scroll-behavior : auto ! important
};
in
settings => theme => custom (or something like that, i have a non English language)
This disables the weird scroll behavior for me

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried to add the code, but it didn’t do anything. I have forgotten to specify that I use the combined view (or something like that, I also have a non-English installation), which you can enable in the settings (and which the developer hates, I’ve read :stuck_out_tongue:)

Well, it fixed the issue for me. I also use the combined reading mode.
trying what you described, works on my system.

To bad it didn’t for you, I am out of ideas. :zipper_mouth_face:

CTRL-Up / CTRL-Down now navigates between articles.

I was going to create a new thread, reporting a bug with weird scrolling behaviour, but your suggestion fixed my problem. Though changing the css code on our end should not be the solution for every one, so I will post my findings here, maybe it helps fixing the source of the problem.

Usually I switch between feed items using the CTRL+DOWN keyboard shortcut. In the past this worked great for me, but since about ~2 months TTRSS often scrolls way past the headline of the next item, and sometimes TTRSS is even scrolling back to the previous headline instead. This video is recorded only pressing CTRL+Down key: https://imgur.com/a/9nUPhfV

i’ve seen something like that happen - maybe - because of image lazy-loading messing with overall element height / scroll offsets

e: i think this is definitely because of lazy loading

Well, seems that lazy-loading seem to be only available with smooth scrolling enabled. Interesting, did not know that.

you sure about this? those should be entirely separate (lazy loading is enabled for images in sanitize())

you should be able to check in your browser network inspector

e: i agree that smooth scrolling may also affect this, it’s a combination of issues i suppose.

no, not sure at all, just sherlocked it, as it works as intended when disabling smooth scrolling. I am afraid I am not qualified enough to tell the difference in network inspector between “normal scrolling” with “normal images loading” and lazy-loading. Sorry, did not want to bother you.

this might be inherently unfixable with smooth scrolling enabled unless we pass scroll events to browser entirely

maybe navigation between articles directly i.e. ctrl+arrow should force-disable smooth scrolling?

Sure, if this is possible, should be a good solution. To be honest, I don’t care about smooth scrolling at all, and am rather happy to found a way to disable it using the css code above. It was just wasting time imho

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/commit/a802649d5397da0bdeaceddf3a9a38093053bcba

personally i like how smooth scrolling behaves but yeah it brings more problems than without it :frowning:

OH THANK YOU! so many thanks,

The smooth scroll made it harder (and longer) to skip through articles looking for something that would catch my attention, whereas I can pick up on things as they flash by, the scrolling was more problematic for me, and very recently, it would often, (but not reliably repeatably) scroll just past the headline of an article.