Feed add timeout due to slow download instead of after no incoming traffic

Describe the problem you’re having:

I wanted to export all my starred items and import them on another tt-rss server.
I did not see an option to do this… so I did the next best thing, I created a share and subscribed to it on another server. This worked fine on one account!

But on another account (moving between the same two servers) I got a timeout error, and the issue I have is probably because of:

include/functions.php:
// How may seconds to wait for response when requesting feed from a site
define_default(‘FEED_FETCH_NO_CACHE_TIMEOUT’, 15);

I can fix this temporarily by just increasing this amount, but for me timeout means that it stops after a certain time when no data is received… in this case there is constant data, it was just taking long since I was exporting about 900 articles this way.

I do realize that the timeout can be interpreted either way, and I think the it should be timeout after no data is received.

I did run it through the indicated:
https://fakecake.org/myfeedsucks/
and it returned it all fine.

If possible include steps to reproduce the problem:

I cannot provide the URL, since it contains personal information (and requires authentication), but I would wager all one needed to do is just have a large enough rss shared list to trigger the timeout on a normal download.

tt-rss version (including git commit id):

v19.8 (647c7c4)

Platform (i.e. Linux distro, PHP, PostgreSQL, etc) versions:

Linux Ubuntu 16 LTS on PostgeSQL 9

Please provide any additional information below:

This is really a normal PHP timeout issue that is not specific to TT-RSS. In the future just adjust the max_execution_time in your php.ini file.

But… In your case just use the migration plugin:

https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/ttrss-data-migration

Yes, I think you’re correct.

When I tried to load the feed in a web browser, I saw that it took a long time to even start serving data.

This means perhaps that the shared rss feed from tt-rss is first collected in full before transmission starts… which makes sense for XML content using common XML building APIs.

Thanks for the plugin, will give it a try.

Regards.