Chrome/iPad: incorrect width after rotation

Which is odd because they’re both using the same rendering engine. This suggests that it’s an app-specific thing that’s happening. Maybe delete Chrome and re-install it. Then try again (before changing any settings, etc.).

Mobile Safari allows you to use a web inspector IF you have a Mac. You enable it in the Settings app on the iPad, then connect the iPad to your Mac via USB, then open Safari on both and on the desktop you have an option to view the web inspector from the iPad. If the Developer menu isn’t available on your Mac, enable developer mode in Preferences. I have no idea if this works with Chrome or if Chrome has something similar.

Do you have any custom CSS defined in TT-RSS? Or plugins or themes that modify the default behavior?

I’m going to agree with fox here. When my iPad died I switched to a Windows 2-in-1 and it works really well for web browsing (other applications suck in tablet mode, but web browsing is quite good). You get a proper web browser, proper extensions, proper ability to configure things. It’s just a much better experience if all you’re doing is surfing. (YouTube also works fine in this setup.)

If changing hardware is not viable (which is understandable), then maybe just use Safari. It’s not like it’s really different on iPad anyway.

Fox, and what browser do you recommend for TT-RSS? To listen to you, all browsers are shit this way or another.

everything is shit, not just browsers. welcome to the most boring cyberpunk dystopia imaginable.

I wish. In my experience WKWebView (and UIWebView before it) is slower, has fewer features, and has more bugs than Safari. I’ve seen a bug in an app I developed where rotating the screen breaks some css values (safe-area-inset-*) in WKWebView. Safari handled it just fine. I don’t know if the bug in this thread is related, but I recommend staying away from WKWebView-based apps unless you really have no choice (like in my case, developing a hybrid app).

so not only you can’t use your own rendering engine they have a special gimped one for third party apps? nice platform lol.

Re: evil mozilla:

Add-ons were automatically disabled due to some certificate expiration issue, which was certainly stupid on their part. But how they managed to push their temporary fix for users who couldn’t wait to use their extensions until a permanent fix was released in the shape of a new version, was not as nefarious as it’s made out to be.

Yep. That’s reason #3 I would never buy an iOS device for personal use (for the curious, #1 is walled garden app store, #2 is requiring a Mac for development).

That was definitely the case originally. I was under the impression they changed their position several years back and stated during a developer conference that third-party apps would get the same renderer as native Safari. If I recall, it was a different class though so some app updating was required. I’m not an iOS developer so I wouldn’t know first-hand. Given the buggy behavior being described in this thread, it would certainly seem like third-party developers are second-class when it comes to web rendering.

And I don’t even understand why. Maybe initially, when their App Store first launched. But now every app is sandboxed so really what’s the security risk? It can’t be greater than the bugs and security vulnerabilities in their own, first-party apps. There’s a pretty big advantage from a user perspective to being able to run alternative browsers.

Perhaps not. But the link fox posted above details quite a bit of access Mozilla has to the browser. Basically the ability to change anything, whenever they want. It certainly seems like over-reach to me, especially if their system somehow becomes compromised. If such changes were instead rolled out in regular updates, the end-user could defer updating.

android is a complete shitpile but a very similar situation (replacing platform webview with a chrome-based separately updating one) was handled a lot better. and, well, nobody was ever restricted from using other rendering engines, of course.

if you don’t mind unaccountable and evidently incompetent people from mozilla installing certificates or changing settings in your browser silently that’s your prerogative. personally i don’t feel comfortable about this for various reasons therefore i no longer install firefox on bare hardware.

as far as i remember, studies are opt-out and the browser definitely doesn’t make it clear enough that it is essentially a huge gaping backdoor.

e: remember that mr robot fiasco? that’s the kind of people who have this access.

Except for piss. And lynx.

… something I’m going to try next year. I’m used to iPhone but I want to at least see what the other side is like. I very nearly picked up a OnePlus 7 Pro this year, but had some Apple gift cards so I got an iPhone 8 Plus for about half price.