Chrome/iPad: incorrect width after rotation

Loading TTRSS in portrait, turning the device multiple times always results in a correct view.
However:

1. Loading it in landscape (looks good)
  2. Rotate to portrait (still looks good)
  3. Rotate back to landscape, the parent view (?) seems to have a smaller width than it should.

So it looks like the problem only happens if page was initially loaded in landscape AND after rotating from portrait to landscape.

In the screenshot the background is gray which should go all the way to the right edge.

tt-rss main UI is not designed for tablets and other mobile devices. if someone wants to take a look at this i’ll review the PR, otherwise i can only suggest using a real computer.

I’m sad but I understand.
It really works almost perfectly these days.
Apart from this minor issue the only problem I saw so far is the Feed and Filters pages in settings, which scroll the page content while drag and dropping. Just in case someone is capable/considering a fix.

Alas, pretty good result when keeping in mind that it was not even designed to work with these…
I’ll keep using it anyway because the combination is a dream come true!

btw i’m not seeing any problems with chrome (device view enabled, windows, latest) so i’m not sure how would i even debug this. you haven’t specified the platform or any other details.

e: oh, ipad. i’m afraid unless apple finally unfucks safari into something that works properly there’s zero chance of things getting better.

also i’m fairly sure you’re not actually running chrome. it’s just an UI wrapper over (garbage) safari webkit engine.

Whoa… Apple says iPads are real computers. (Kidding, despite my username I don’t even use much Apple stuff these days.)

It is. Apple doesn’t let any browser engine but their own on iOS/iPadOS devices. (Which is just stupid.)

@ido, you might have better luck with iPadOS 13 as Apple allegedly tries to fake being a desktop browser on iPad with it. I haven’t tried it because I don’t have an iPad. Do keep in mind that I’ve read there are a lot of bugs even in version 13.1 so you may want to wait until the next point release before updating your iPad.

Another option is the Tiny Reader RSS app. The developer is active here. Alternatively, some people use the Reeder app with a plugin for TT-RSS to add Fever API support (this is what I did when I had an iPad).

:slight_smile:

Wow Chrome on iOS is just WebKit. Good to know.
I’ll update to iPadOS 13.1 today (fucked up version AND name brought to you by Apple) and check again.

I tried to reproduce this on macOS in both real Chrome and Safari with their developer tools, not seeing the issue there. I don’t think the simulated rotation there is anything like the real thing. It feels more like “it would be rendered like this on this screen”, which is correct, except of this edge case of real rotation with animation etc)

I’ll do a bit of research how to debug something like this on iOS. I’m willing to try things if anyone has any idea/input.

Can’t reproduce either in Chrome or Safari. iPadOS 13.1.

But why would you use TTRSS in a tablet browser? Something like Reeder is much niftier. No filters or tags, of course, but, well, for those we have, as fox says, real computers.

I see this from time to time on my iPad as well. I don’t see it regularly or have good steps to reproduce, but this is where I see it most.

1. Open up a game that has long annoying waits you’d rather read your feeds during.
  2. Open up Safari in a sub window on top of it. (Pull up the short cut bar at the bottom of the screen, then drag Safari up on top of the game.) I’m usually positioning the window to the right of the screen.
  3. Push the window off the screen to the right and interact with the game.
  4. Pull the window back by swiping from the right edge of the screen to the left.
  5. Repeat 3 and 4 until TTRSS isn’t rendering correctly on the full window area.
  6. Reload the page and it renders correctly again.

I doubt there’s anything to do on the TTRSS side and this is all Apple’s fault. Haven’t tried iPadOS yet though, so maybe that will fix everything. Maybe.

Why do I prefer not to use an app?

A. I’m lazy.
B. I have the site configured how I like it and most apps don’t have plugins.
C. An iPad is a big enough screen that it works for me.
D. Most apps won’t open in a window on top of everything else.

(Written on a real computer, not that iPad.)

On a larger iPad (10" or greater) it actually works half-decently. You lose the ability to use the contextual menu on articles (so marking above/below is out) and it’s a bit cumbersome to mark an article as unread, but otherwise it’s fine.

i think on windows touch devices long-tap should work for that, at least on chrome. strange that ios doesn’t allow it.

Yup, it does. I use Firefox on Windows on my 2-in-1 Lenovo and TT-RSS works just fine in tablet mode, contextual menu and all. On iOS right-click is non-existent and handled by the long press/tap and hold; in Safari it brings up its own menu, similar to what a browser would if JavaScript hadn’t intercepted the action.

Apple touts iOS 13 (iPadOS 13) as having a desktop-class browser but I watched the presentation from their developer conference about it. Really it’s the same browser but they falsify the user-agent and use some proprietary heuristics to decide how things like CSS :hover, :focus, etc. pseudo classes are handled. Thing is, using Firefox in tablet mode on Windows works just as well, if not better, than Safari on iOS. I mean there’s always going to be web sites that suck for touch interfaces (Lenovo’s is actually a great example) but it more or less works flawlessly (and I get a web inspector, and add-ons, a console, etc.).

(I’ve also been trying out Microsoft’s new Edge browser, based on Chromium. I’m on the beta channel for that and it works pretty well, too. Of course it does, it’s basically Chrome with the Google crap swapped out for Microsoft crap.)

i find it strange that safari is so shit now (both UI-wise and, more importantly, with web standard support) - apple certainly has enough money to unfuck it but they just don’t want to. it starts to look like internet explorer with the amount of polyfills and shit you need to make stuff work on it.

they’ve been on the forefront on web tech at some point but nowadays i guess they just don’t bother. maybe it was because of google working on webkit with them though.

also, instead of substituting google botnet with microsoft botnet, try brave.

Yeah. I don’t want to derail the thread too much but I feel Apple’s really become complacent lately. When mobile Safari was shown on the first iPhone it was amazing. Later on the iPad it was fantastic for casual surfing. But in more than a decade they’ve done nothing to it (it just got the ability to download files this week with the latest iOS update). Now with the latest version on iPad I feel (like you said) they’re pulling a Microsoft from early 2000’s with all this “we’ll interpret web sites our own unique way” crap. I get that web developers are largely to blame for not designing sites properly (or as properly as possible), but the solution is to make it easier for them to develop, not to cancel JavaScript calls or ignore CSS because you think it might be better that way.

Re: Brave… I’m mostly just curious to see how Microsoft develops Edge with Chromium. I think it’s the right approach; their Edge engine was just so bad. Edge on Chromium is actually a usable web browser even while it’s in beta.

it’s funny that we’ve almost had full webkit monoculture (for better or for worse) but instead there’s incompatible forks of webkit floating around. i pity people who have to work on web stuff professionally, this has been a neverending nightmare for what, almost 20 years now?

duckduckgo

pic related.

i’m sure it’s usable, if only because it’s basically chrome, but as long as you’re using a chrome-derivative browser anyway you might as well use one that supposedly doesn’t spy on you.

the only reason for edge continued existence is microsoft wanting their piece of the sweet datamining pie and i guess all the telemetry in windows is simply not enough. screw them.

same with mozilla btw, i can only trust their software these days in a contained virtual machine. fuck that company and their highly misleading marketing (and adding a literal backdoor to every firefox installation).

I’m so glad I don’t do it anymore… except for my own stuff. Between ridiculous client requests and browser compatibility every day was a burden.

It’s a constant battle to limit telemetry, yeah. I just recently went through my system again to update services, scheduled tasks, and group policies in an effort to keep things restricted. Interestingly, the original Edge browser has some group policy settings to limit telemetry, but the beta Edge/Chrome restricts those policies to Enterprise editions. I’m not sure if that’s because they want more data for development or because they’re simply going to refuse to allow non-Enterprise users the ability to disable it in the final release (I’m pretty sure I know the answer :unamused: ).

Actually didn’t know about this. Unbelievable. :roll_eyes:

they did a pretty good job of keeping this below radar, it blew up during that certificate shitshow earlier this year (or was it last year?) when they managed to disable all addons for everyone and break tor, i think.

people so irresponsible having remote access to so many firefox installations allowing them to silently push certificates (hello, MITM) and god only knows what else is simply unacceptable.

i’m not sure if mozilla was ever “good” but nowadays they are definitely as shady as any other western tech giant. only less rich, so they have even more incentive to exploit their userbase.

oh, i guess we did derail this thread. back to ios being shit, i suppose.

Just to confirm iPadOS 13.1 has the same issue in Chrome.
In Safari it looks good!
Damn I don’t want to use Safari, somebody help me fix this please :wink:

I’m a mobile dev, not web, so I might be on the wrong path by myself, but I think I can do it with a little help.
I’m open for suitable debugging ideas on device.

To answer some from above:
I work at a desk on a computer the whole day. Using an iPad at home is better health wise and more fun. Different posture. Also since I started to use it for news reading I read more. And it works great, almost perfect so why not?
Why not apps? Because I can customize this how I want and there is no app switch when opening a page, plus YouTube buttons don’t work in apps because you’re not logged in in their web views. No sync needed too. Page Rendering is also better.
Probably most important: suppressing cookie pop ups (very nerve killing in my area at least) work better in the real browser, and are persisted correctly.

if you don’t like apps, a windows 2-in-1 could work for you, since you can install a properly functional browser (pretty much nothing else though). i have a device like that, it’s kinda clunky without keyboard but usable. plus i can attach the keyboard and get stuff done on it, if i want to.