Android client: general / beta discussion

it should change day/night based on time. unfortunately it’s deprecated - for whatever reason - but it seems to work for me.

i think so. there’s an option to follow device theme. i’ll make a note to add this. my phone doesn’t have device night mode so testing this would be your duty. :slight_smile:

if apps like play store change to dark when you enable dark theme on your device then it’s likely to work. if not then it might only apply to built-in software.

my pleasure :wink:

yes, the play store follows this setting!

Its absolutely not needed, as I am currently just using always night mode of tt-rss, but would be nice to have this option.

same as device night mode should be supported in 1.275, no idea if it works though.

Can confirm with device works as intended

at least on my phone it looks like “same as device” and “auto by time” does an exact same thing.

anyone else? i’ll remove the deprecated variant then because it seems unnecessary.

e: it works like this on an emulator too. this wasn’t obvious from the documentation though, i think. i’ll remove the 4th option in 1.276.

“Same as device” works also for me as designed.

in unrelated news i finally bothered to enable pre-launch automated testing on google play. one of the very few google-related things that are unironically helpful and good.

Do shortcuts to specific categories not work anymore?

i have it disabled for newer android versions:

if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.O) {
            menu.findItem(R.id.create_shortcut).setVisible(false);
        }

this is the commit:

commit 527796ed9cdb63b715b0c8d833262fa5ea097b44
Author: Andrew Dolgov <[email protected]>
Date:   Fri Dec 21 17:06:58 2018 +0300

disable create shortcut context menu on oreo; not supported

and this is why: Mudanças de comportamento do Android 8.0  |  Desenvolvedores Android  |  Android Developers

looks like this got reworked by google (which is something they really like to do, my guess would be managers responsible for android trying to justify their miserable existence).

if someone wants to rewrite existing code to use this new shortcutmanager whatever, i’ll review the PR.

e: personally i seriously dislike this neverending cycle of rewriting stuff that works and enforcing newer target API levels (which always breaks things), which is why almost all my stuff is off various google storefronts. tt-rss is pretty much the only thing that’s left.

at least i managed to figure out how to self host chrome (and chromium-based microsoft edge) extensions. that particular store is basically ultracondensed cancer.

NEW BETA UP 1.280 (514)

• this reworks API requests to use okhttp3 instead of httpurlconnection
  • options to trust any SSL certificate have been removed

new beta 1.282 (516)

• add an option to force phone layout on tablet devices

new beta 1.296 (530)

I hope this is not considered hijacking the thread, but I am runnging 1.296 (530) and I can not figure out how to see unread starred articles.
Tapping Special → Starred shows nothing, even with “only not read” disabled.
I went through the settings, but I can not find anything related. If I star an unread article, it is shown immediately. If I select a feed that I am sure contains an unread starred article from the its top category (not going through starred) nothing is shown.
Am I doing anything wrong? I hope it is not related to the Italian translation.
Thanks in advance

don’t worry about it.

that’s strange. i’m kinda busy with other stuff right now but i’ll make a note to take a look tomorrow.

i might be missing something here but it seems to work for me:

(articles with bold title are unread)

e: also works with unread view mode.

My bad. I totally missed this menu, as on mobile I usually consult only unread articles.
I do not know why, but I was convinced that selecting the starred special category would have shown the starred articled, no matter the status (read/unread).
Thanks once more for looking into it and apologies for the trouble

that also works though:

• open starred feed
  • set view mode to unread
  • you’ll see all articles which are both starred and unread

i still feel like i’m missing something. :slight_smile:

new beta incoming (1.297) which adds UI stuff for setting and displaying article score

@fox does the Android app use the iframe whitelist at all?

I made a plugin to use the youtube-nocookie.com non-tracking domain and added it to the whitelist for the iframes in my YouTube feeds. Shows fine in the browser but doesn’t display in the app. Entry’s still using youtube.com show fine.

I know it’s probably no more “private” than the normal youtube.com link but hey they offer it I thought I should use it.

it should, in general.

for youtube player specifically most likely the endpoint is hardcoded and invoked with video id or something like that.

e: if your entries simply don’t show up then i dunno.

anyway, i think this is the end of beta program on the play store.

i’ve switched to using fdroid daily builds myself (which now have popup notifications for new version codes) and going to update play store builds as needed.