Android app: List view and images

Hi fox,

because you’re currently warmed up and seem to have lots of fun with the Android SDK, I wanted to ask you a question.

When I’m in list view or feed view (whatever you call it when the app lists all the articles one above the others) and tap an image the app shows me that image. Was there a specific reasoning for this kind of interaction? I’m curious because several times a day when loading a feed I want to tap the first or second article but the app is still loading the images and just before my finger tip reaches the screen it displays the image and instead of the article view I’m in image view. And those images seem to be some kind of thumbnail or so as when I open the article view the app once again loads the image over the network instead from the cache.

If there was no specific reasoning I’d really welcome to see this image view gone. Taps on images in article view should open the article. But maybe you put some thought in there I cannot see.

Bests,
MasinAD

gallery view is there because - shocking, i know - people like pretty pictures. you can’t put entire article HTML in the listview because of performance so there’s this special view.

if you are the kind of person who hates pretty pictures, you can disable it (or enable gmail-like compact view) in preferences.

also i’d be careful with saying stuff like that :angry:

I don’t hate them. It’s the lag between opening the list view and the display of the images that bothers me. But I didn’t try the setting 'cause it’s under “Artikel” (German translation) and I wrongly assumed it would apply to article view and not list view.

Compact view might be my best fit, then.

And sorry for the bad joke. I didn’t expect it to be hurtful.

Thanks for the help!

really? that should be moved then. it shouldn’t be there.

e: actually no, it’s in the headlines category. the translation might be wrong then.

i cry every time etc

e: Easier translations with Weblate wink wink

Hi
One more thing about images if I can.
When you tap image in list view it is displayed in full screen and can be zoomed. It is very convinient for comic strips.
But in article view taping the image opens web browser with article. Could it behave the same as in the list mode? There is special floating button for opening web browser so this action is not necessary.
Thanks for great app,
Michał

anything is possible but i’m not going to bother with it. if someone files a PR, i’ll review it.

yes but what if article has multiple different links in the html. haven’t thought of that, right?

Ah, so the image is a link in the rss feed data, and the app does not make automatically links from images. That would explain this behavior, I will check xml, thanks for hint.